Updating to latest version

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Lobo

Updating to latest version

Post by Lobo »

Wasn't able to update to latest version via the program and had to go to website instead. File downloaded okay, but would not allow install. No problem however, from website.
Life is precious, live it well.
Menno555

Re: Updating to latest version

Post by Menno555 »

What is the error you get when installing the downloaded version?

Menno
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Okay. Here’s the situation: updating from a previous version, I click on check for updates. This part is fine, I get the download. A page comes up and I click on install; however, from here it all gets a little weird. A smaller window appears, when I click on the task bar, but if I move my mouse away from it , it promptly hides again, so I’m unable to place a tick in the accept conditions box and proceed further. I try closing down the original page, but it won’t allow any input, so I go to control, alt, del and now find that I can’t stop the procedure there either for the same reason. This behaviour only manifests itself if I try to update from the program - carrying out download and install directly from the website works perfectly fine. In fact it works more than fine; installing previous updates always loaded a totally new version, leaving the old one in place; whereas this new version does exactly what I would expect and updates the version I had.

Incidentally, I’ve never experienced the above issues in previous updates. Anyway, not to worry. I have the latest updated SharpCap and it’s fine. I just thought I’d mention the problem.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

good to hear that the manual upgrade worked - sounds like you had some other window trying to jump in front of the upgrade window whenever it came to the front. Unfortunately auto-upgrade is one of those things that is very hard to diagnose and fix issues with - it works for more than 99% of people, but when it doesn't work, it's hard to find out why, so I usually just recommend a manual upgrade in those cases.

cheers,

Robin
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Thank you, Robin. It’s all good. Everything works. Just thought I’d bring it to attention in case anyone else was experiencing the issue. As you say, one window was hiding another; usually in this case it’s possible to get it to the front, but not in this case. Bit of a mystery.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

<ALT> <TAB> will cycle through open windows.

Dave
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

That’s useful to know, Dave. Thanks. 👍😊