Very slow frame rate in SvBony 715c camera

Post Reply
DanK
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Very slow frame rate in SvBony 715c camera

#1

Post by DanK »

Hi Robin:

I am getting only 2-5 fps at full resolution with no difference in the frame rate if I reduce to a much lower ROI such as 800x400, or acquire the capture in 8 bit..

Thanks,

Dan Kahraman
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17390
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: Very slow frame rate in SvBony 715c camera

#2

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

given those symptoms, the first thing to check is that your exposure is set to a suitably low value (say 10ms) to get a high frame rate. If your exposure has managed to get set to say 200ms then you will only ever get 5fps, regardless of any other settings.

Beyond that, the other things to check are

* USB Speed control set to 2
* A good USB3 connection (using USB3 port and cable and no extensions/hubs)

I happen to have one of those cameras on hand to test with and I get about 45.5fps maximum at full resolution.

cheers,

Robin
DanK
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Very slow frame rate in SvBony 715c camera

#3

Post by DanK »

Thanks Robin:

I have other problems with the camera namely I couldn't get colour balance in Registax...but I will certainly follow up on your advice. Yes there is that greenish tint....

Dan
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 17390
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
Contact:

Re: Very slow frame rate in SvBony 715c camera

#4

Post by admin »

Hi,

a greenish tint to the raw images is fairly normal on this sort of camera. Usually it can be adjusted out by pulling down the green channel by some ratio (say reduce by 40% or something). You may also need to push the blue up a bit. Consumer cameras have these sort of adjustments built in, but with the astro cameras you get what comes straight from the sensor.

Normally I'd recommend adjusting out the colour balance after stacking (if registax is being awkward then you can just save the image and adjust in something like photoshop or Affinity Photo or whatever). There are also white balance adjustments for this camera in SharpCap if you want to use them.

cheers,

Robin
DanK
Posts: 145
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:58 pm

Re: Very slow frame rate in SvBony 715c camera

#5

Post by DanK »

Hi Robin:

I suspect there is an SDK issue behind the green tint as I couldn't get rid of it in Registax. I will wait until Sharpcap 4.2 is released.which will address the proper SDK for the 715c camera. Maybe it was the very low number of frames (2 minute video at 2-4 fps is only 480 total frames max. and if only 20% are selected, number to stack is under 96.

BTW I found only one port on my laptop that gave me the advertised fps once the USB speed was set to 2 and the exposure speed set to 10ms. The fps much higher as the ROI dimensions are reduced. I didn't check the speed at full resolution. It was definitely much more than 2-4 fps, Huge improvement for my next imaging session.

Dan
Post Reply