Hi All
Yesterday (11/1/25) I posted a link to a 4 hour video I made with SharpCap the evening before. Since then, I have seen a post on Damian Peach's Facebook page announcing a new feature on Jupiter which had been discovered within the previous 24 hours. I looked back at my video and found what I am fairly confident is this new feature based on what other Jupiter imagers have captured.
Here is a 'zoomed in' and cropped version of my video showing where the new feature appears to be. The quality is not brilliant due to variable seeing (can't do much about that) and misting of the corrector plate on my SCT (new dew heater on order) but there are a few sections of reasonable quality.
If you are a Jupiter imager, then this could well be an interesting time to see if and how this new feature evolves.
https://go.screenpal.com/u/nvei/Jupiter ... ureJan2025
New Feature On Jupiter Discovered 9/1/2025?
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.
Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.
Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
- morayskies
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 1:30 pm
New Feature On Jupiter Discovered 9/1/2025?
Clear Skies
Richard
Celestron 6" SCT, SW ED80, Coronado PST (getting old now) SkyWatcher HEQ5 Pro
Richard
Celestron 6" SCT, SW ED80, Coronado PST (getting old now) SkyWatcher HEQ5 Pro
- admin
- Site Admin
- Posts: 17384
- Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm
- Location: Vale of the White Horse, UK
- Contact:
Re: New Feature On Jupiter Discovered 9/1/2025?
Hi Richard,
very neat!
I think you can just about see a hint of it moving round from the edge of the planet before you add the circle to your video - it's hard to be sure as the dimness of the edge of the planet means the noise is worse, and the angle of view doesn't help either, but there does seem to be a hint.
cheers,
Robin
very neat!
I think you can just about see a hint of it moving round from the edge of the planet before you add the circle to your video - it's hard to be sure as the dimness of the edge of the planet means the noise is worse, and the angle of view doesn't help either, but there does seem to be a hint.
cheers,
Robin