Page 4 of 4

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Mon May 18, 2026 1:50 pm
by admin
Hi,

OK, GPS mystery solved - the beta *is* using a newer ToupTek SDK than 4.1, and the new SDK seems to have broken the 'has the camera got GPS' query, so that it no longer succeeds for the 585 GPS model (probably not for any models). That stops SharpCap from showing any GPS related UI/controls :(

I will let ToupTek know...

cheers,

Robin

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Mon May 18, 2026 2:25 pm
by admin
Jean-Francois wrote: Sat May 16, 2026 6:22 pm Hello Robin,

Do you change something to the Plate Solve or stars detection ?

With the last version 4.2 ... the Plate Solve works with the Ultra-Hi-Res, but no more with the Hi-Res or Default stars index.

with the following "setup" ...
- ASCOM Sky Simulator with camera: 1920x1200 pixel, 5.86 µm und 754 mm focal
- in addition G18 star database and "F/2" focal ratio
- in SharpCap camera control: exposure 1000 ms with gain 900

With the Default or the Hi-Res SharpCap star index ... no Plate Solve.

If I test the same "setup" with the SharpCap version 4.1 ... then I can found a Plate Solve with each 3 index.
I used the GSServer simulator mount and it was pointing at M65.


Regards,
Jean-Francois
I can't repro any issue in this situation - set things up as closely as I can to your config with same SkySimulator settings and position but using the ASCOM Omnisim mount not GSS Sim (which should have no real effect). In every test the results for 4.1 and 4.2 on plate solving are the same. In fact I get 4.2 plate solving that field when Sky Simulator is using G14 and SharpCap is using the default plate solve database.

Best thing to do is to try to make it happen with the option to log additional plate solving information turned on in the logging tab of the SharpCap settings. That saves all sorts of stuff to a subfolder inside 'PlateSolveImages' in the main 'SharpCap Captures' folder. That should include at the minimum a log of the plate solve info/progress and the actual image that SharpCap was attempting to solve. With the contents of that folder, I can re-run the exact same scenario as you and work out why you are seeing problems.

cheers,

Robin

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Mon May 18, 2026 7:13 pm
by Jean-Francois
Hello,

I cannot repeat now with my desktop computer, but I can try with my laptop.
On my desktop computer, I tried several times between 4.1 and 4.2 version (to be sure that it was repeatable).

Jean-Francois

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Mon May 18, 2026 8:21 pm
by Jean-Francois
Hello,

So ... with my laptop, I can solve with the 3 index ... so no problems here.

For the desktop computer, it will takes several days before I can redo the test.


Regards,
Jean-Francois

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Tue May 19, 2026 1:19 pm
by admin
Hi Jean-Francois - no problem, let me know what you find out when you do have the opportunity to test.

I have had a response from ToupTek regarding the GPS cameras - a firmware update of the camera is required for early pre-production cameras with the new SDK - please see full details in this post : viewtopic.php?p=53105#p53105

cheers,

Robin

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Tue May 19, 2026 6:27 pm
by Jean-Francois
Hello,

OK, thanks for support with the ToupTek GPS camera.

Jean-Francois

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2026 4:54 pm
by CarCarlo147
Hi Robin,

I finally found some time to properly test the new feathering control for the Corona Boost in the 4.2 beta, Version 4.2.15192.0 (64-bit)
and I'm really pleased with the results. Great job!

The feathering works beautifully: the transition is smooth and natural, and the controls are simple and intuitive. With just a few small tweaks I was able to find the right settings and completely get rid of that hard edge where the Corona Boost kicks in.

I've attached a test image, and here's a link to a short video on my Google Drive so you can see the result in action:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Lb8Bu ... sp=sharing

For reference, the settings in the screenshot are Corona Boost 3.50, Radius Offset -3.00 and Feather Boost 3.00.

The next test I'd like to do is on a partial view of the Sun with a 3x Barlow. Hopefully I'll manage it tomorrow, weather permitting, and I'll let you know how it goes.

One more suggestion: it would be perfect if you could also add X and Y offset controls for the centre used in the Corona Boost calculation. As I mentioned earlier, the auto-detected circle isn't always perfectly centred on the solar disk, so being able to nudge it manually would make the result even cleaner.

P.S. A small thing I noticed during testing: when I started the Capture Flat procedure from the menu, the large histogram at the bottom of the screen was empty. Clicking any of the checkboxes at the top right (Log, Zoom, etc.) made it draw immediately.

Thanks again for the excellent work!

Cheers,
Carlo
Immagine 2026-09-30 115229.jpg
Immagine 2026-09-30 115229.jpg (306.23 KiB) Viewed 120 times
CarCarlo147 wrote: Fri May 08, 2026 5:12 pm
admin wrote: Fri May 08, 2026 1:14 pm * Yes, some sort of graduated start to the corona boost is probably a good idea - my last solar session prompted me to increase the range of the solar boost brightness, which probably makes it even more desireable. You can already tweak it a bit by using the radius offset control in the same section - that lets you move the point where the boost starts in or out a little from the auto-detected position. I find that out a little is my favourite with a small visible darker band before the corona boost kicks in.
Hi Robin,

Thank you very much for your reply and for considering the suggestion!

I did give the "radius offset" control a try, adjusting it both inward and outward as you suggested. While it does shift the boundary, it unfortunately doesn't seem to apply any smoothing to the edge. The harsh pixel separation over the prominences is still quite noticeable and visually unappealing.

Additionally, I've noticed that this hard edge issue is made a bit worse because the auto-detected circle doesn't always seem perfectly centered on the solar disk.

If it were possible to implement a true feathering effect at that boundary, it would be absolutely fantastic. It would smooth out that hard edge beautifully and likely help mask any slight imperfections in the circle's centering as well.

Best regards,
Carlo Mollicone


Immagine 2026-05-08 190233.jpg


Immagine 2026-05-08 190228.jpg

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2026 8:19 am
by admin
Hi Carlo,

glad to hear that the feathering of the corona boost edge is working nicely for you :) Always good to know that a new feature seems to be working as it should.

Is the disc detection offset stable enough to make an X/Y offset work? I know that in some cases it can be a little unstable (even though there is averaging going on in the background so the value used is an average over a number of frames, not just from one frame). It would also be good to check that the offset seems fairly consistent around the disc before trying to implement this.

On the missing histogram - interesting - I see the same when using a real camera but not using the simulated cameras. The histogram is not adjusting its size properly either as you change the height. I wonder what has gone wrong?

cheers,

Robin

Re: First public beta test version of SharpCap 4.2 now available

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 5:27 pm
by SanjeevJ
Hi there, i had a chance to test the xxx166.0 beta from Sept 21. I evaluated a couple of extended nebulosity fields for 5 to 10 min stacks collected from Bortle 1. RASA 8 + ZWO 2600 MC Pro scale. I am still discovering the feature changes, it seems a lot of work has gone into this - TY!

One thing I noticed is that the arc sin stretch is not working well for me for my image scale and conditions. By increasing softness to about 5 ish, I could see arc sin starting to approximate reciprocal but there is absolutely no doubt that reciprocal is beating arc sin for both sharpness and contrast every single time! I tested softness from zero to 8 (max). I tested a few extended nebulosity targets in folder cam mode, and also submitted several sample stretches from 4.2 arc sin to chatgpt along with reciprocal from both 4.1 and 4.2. GPT confirmed independently that reciprocal was producing sharper and higher contrast views for the display, even if the base stacks were similar in the 16 bit stacks I was checking. The enhance color option is really not worth it in my view for the extended nebulosity tests I did. I am not sure what conditions this is designed for, it is surely not something I would use.

I will now test the other functions, i am particularly excited about improvements to auto focus. Till now, I had to rely on Nina for reliable auto focus runs, and early reports suggests 4.2 may now have closed the gap.

TY for all the great work to keep us hobbyists going!