Thanks Leo-- The procedure you outlined for setting up the ASCOM driver is exactly how I set it up (ASCOM Telescope Driver for TheSky --using Software Bisque’s ASCOM 2X Mount Adaptor) a few years ago so I could use PHD2 and NINA. For years I've had no trouble using TSX , NINA and PHD2 for DSO use, including automatic meridian flips, etc.
Before I installed, Solar PHD2, I deleted the original PHD2 that I had been using. Am I correct in assuming that the new install would not have disturbed any of the driver settings? Nonetheless, I will double check them when I get the mount back.
Also, as I explained above, the procedure you outlined to track the sun in TSX is exactly the one I used. That is the only way it is possible to track the Sun in TSX-- there are no generic tracking rates, only sidereal and a custom rate determined by selecting Set Track Rate. It is this action that immediately causes Solar PHD2 to suspend guiding.
When I get the mount back, I'll revisit the driver settings and procedures to be sure. If I have the same issue should I get back to you?
Thanks,
Dan
Question about PHD2 Solar Fork and SB Paramount MX+
Re: Question about PHD2 Solar Fork and SB Paramount MX+
Hi Dan,
Please make sure you are using the latest version of the Software Bisque ASCOM 2X Mount Adapter, updated June 23, 2026. According to its documentation, the new version “has been given a complete overhaul, making it 100% ASCOM compliant with the latest ASCOM Platform. This new version is for TheSky 64-bit only.”
According to the PHD2 log you sent me, the ASCOM mount driver was behaving inconsistently. Something caused it to report that the mount had stopped tracking, while the RA/Dec coordinates it was reporting indicated that the mount was in fact continuing to track. I originally introduced this feature in the Solar version because mount safety mechanisms can sometimes stop tracking when the mount reaches a meridian or horizon limit, as can happen with my Astro-Physics mount. In such a situation, I did not want PHD2 to continue issuing guide corrections (however unlikely), since that could potentially drive the mount beyond its intended safety limits.
Nevertheless, I’m preparing a new version of Solar PHD2 that will allow the “Stop guiding when mount stops tracking” feature to be disabled in the Advanced Settings dialog. I intend to leave it enabled by default. I’ll release the new version of Solar PHD2 after I’ve completed some testing. In the meantime, please check which version of the 2X adapter you are currently using and, if necessary, update to the latest version.
Hope this helps,
Leo
Please make sure you are using the latest version of the Software Bisque ASCOM 2X Mount Adapter, updated June 23, 2026. According to its documentation, the new version “has been given a complete overhaul, making it 100% ASCOM compliant with the latest ASCOM Platform. This new version is for TheSky 64-bit only.”
According to the PHD2 log you sent me, the ASCOM mount driver was behaving inconsistently. Something caused it to report that the mount had stopped tracking, while the RA/Dec coordinates it was reporting indicated that the mount was in fact continuing to track. I originally introduced this feature in the Solar version because mount safety mechanisms can sometimes stop tracking when the mount reaches a meridian or horizon limit, as can happen with my Astro-Physics mount. In such a situation, I did not want PHD2 to continue issuing guide corrections (however unlikely), since that could potentially drive the mount beyond its intended safety limits.
Nevertheless, I’m preparing a new version of Solar PHD2 that will allow the “Stop guiding when mount stops tracking” feature to be disabled in the Advanced Settings dialog. I intend to leave it enabled by default. I’ll release the new version of Solar PHD2 after I’ve completed some testing. In the meantime, please check which version of the 2X adapter you are currently using and, if necessary, update to the latest version.
Hope this helps,
Leo
Re: Question about PHD2 Solar Fork and SB Paramount MX+
Hi Dan,
The latest version of solar PHD2 (v2.6.14-solar.6.5) has introduced a feature "Stop guiding when mount reports tracking off", which is enabled by default. You may need to disable it if you'll still encounter the problem when your mount is configured to track the Sun.
The latest solar PHD2 download link: https://github.com/Eyeke2/phd2.planetar ... ses/latest
Regards,
Leo
The latest version of solar PHD2 (v2.6.14-solar.6.5) has introduced a feature "Stop guiding when mount reports tracking off", which is enabled by default. You may need to disable it if you'll still encounter the problem when your mount is configured to track the Sun.
The latest solar PHD2 download link: https://github.com/Eyeke2/phd2.planetar ... ses/latest
Regards,
Leo
- Attachments
-
- new_guiding_option.png (56.7 KiB) Viewed 36 times