Sky Flat Issue
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 1:53 pm
Hi there,
I noticed an issue with using Sharpcap for creating master flat using sky flat approach. The issue is simple -- the individual flat frames and bias frames (and even the master bias generated) are pretty good but the calibrated master flat over corrects.
I tested a couple different ways/ First I generated a master bias in SC Pro at pre-sunrise conditions. Next I collected 50 flat frames at 100 gain and 300 ms exposures for the zwo 2600 camera using SC's flat tool.
1. stacked the frames in Sharpcap's process, to generate a master flat
2. used the WBPP process in PI to stack a master flat
I compared both with a synthetically generated flat that I worked on iteratively to calibrate about 5 different stacks of star fields and faint nebulae.
Master flat generated in Sharpcap consistently over brightened the edges.
Master flat generated in PI was perfectly on point, within a couple ADU's for the edge in the raw stack.
So something in the stacking process works differently in SC Pro vs WBPP in PI. It could be the default settings especially for variance handling but I am not sure.
Windows 11 25H2 Pro
ZWO 2600 MC Pro
SC 4.14 from April 20, 2026
I noticed an issue with using Sharpcap for creating master flat using sky flat approach. The issue is simple -- the individual flat frames and bias frames (and even the master bias generated) are pretty good but the calibrated master flat over corrects.
I tested a couple different ways/ First I generated a master bias in SC Pro at pre-sunrise conditions. Next I collected 50 flat frames at 100 gain and 300 ms exposures for the zwo 2600 camera using SC's flat tool.
1. stacked the frames in Sharpcap's process, to generate a master flat
2. used the WBPP process in PI to stack a master flat
I compared both with a synthetically generated flat that I worked on iteratively to calibrate about 5 different stacks of star fields and faint nebulae.
Master flat generated in Sharpcap consistently over brightened the edges.
Master flat generated in PI was perfectly on point, within a couple ADU's for the edge in the raw stack.
So something in the stacking process works differently in SC Pro vs WBPP in PI. It could be the default settings especially for variance handling but I am not sure.
Windows 11 25H2 Pro
ZWO 2600 MC Pro
SC 4.14 from April 20, 2026