Distance of objects after plate solving
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2026 2:50 am
Hello,
I use SC during public outreach for live EAA. During the outreach I will always point the scope towards nebulae, clusters and conclude with a patch of the sky with far away galaxies. I will use the plate solver to find some of them and let the people try to spot more. One thing that would be very nice to show is the distance for nebulae, clusters and all those galaxies SC identifies. Catalog numbers are OK to have but the distance is missing from description and that's the piece of information that always get people excited.
Is that something possible to do?
Thanks for the amazing work you do!
I use SC during public outreach for live EAA. During the outreach I will always point the scope towards nebulae, clusters and conclude with a patch of the sky with far away galaxies. I will use the plate solver to find some of them and let the people try to spot more. One thing that would be very nice to show is the distance for nebulae, clusters and all those galaxies SC identifies. Catalog numbers are OK to have but the distance is missing from description and that's the piece of information that always get people excited.
Is that something possible to do?
Thanks for the amazing work you do!