Testing at start of Lunar Session

Discussions of using SharpCap for Solar or Lunar Imaging
Post Reply
User avatar
turfpit
Posts: 2253
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Testing at start of Lunar Session

#1

Post by turfpit »

Once I have set up with focus and exposure I usually run a short capture with a quick process - a good investment of time for what can turn out to be a 2h session. During the last capture laptop disk tidy, I ran a full process of my test data. The image below is from 2026-03-28 and is 546 frames @ 54fps, 5ms exposure with an IR685 filter, a 10s capture. The SER file is processed with BiggSky (89% Autostack + decon) with no further processing.

stack_plus_decon.JPG
stack_plus_decon.JPG (74.71 KiB) Viewed 279 times

These are the details for a test process at the start of the session.

Capture playback with SER Player, a 60-70% histogram gives good results with my equipment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (44.59 KiB) Viewed 279 times

Autostakkert, I usually stack anything above 50% quality (80% in this case):
AS4_1.JPG
AS4_1.JPG (120.85 KiB) Viewed 279 times

For alignment points I work on ~800 for my 1920x1200 sensor. In this case APs were showing on ~50% of the frame which scales to ~400 APs the target:
AS4_2.JPG
AS4_2.JPG (157.15 KiB) Viewed 279 times

The AS4 stack, looks dark but this is handled in final processing with Gamma:
AS4_stack.JPG
AS4_stack.JPG (26.98 KiB) Viewed 279 times

Registax - gamma, 2 wavelet sliders, contrast, brightness. Image looks decent, good to go for the session.
Registax.JPG
Registax.JPG (220.49 KiB) Viewed 279 times

The Capture Settings file:
2026-03-28-2038_6-Capture.CameraSettings.txt
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

I expect constant focusing/exposure adjustment during a session.

Dave
Post Reply