Max Frame rate & a new camera
Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2026 9:54 pm
Hi:
I just acquired a ZWO ASI 2600MM camera, with a view to replacing a ZWO ASI294MM.
I've been doing some astrometric shots for a while, where I expose for 0.5s per frame, stack 800 frames and keep the best 10%. This is using lucky imaging for deep sky work, tracking star movements.
SharpCap and my Windows 10 PC could keep up with the 294, and write frames as fast as I could collect them. This doesn't seem to be the case with the larger files of the 2600. I'm pretty sure that the rate-determining step is the speed of my hard disk drive, about which I can't easily do much.
So I tried a max frame rate of 2 per second, and it lost fewer frames, but still lost some. I could obviously set the max frame rate to 1 per second, but the time to expose 800 frames then starts to add up. I'd really prefer to set it to 1.5 fps if I could. I don't think I can set vales not in the menu for maximum frame rate. Is that correct?
(I don't seriously want to see the live stack - it's just a convenient way to weed out really bad frames, especially on nights when there are lots of passing clouds.)
Thank you,
Jane
I just acquired a ZWO ASI 2600MM camera, with a view to replacing a ZWO ASI294MM.
I've been doing some astrometric shots for a while, where I expose for 0.5s per frame, stack 800 frames and keep the best 10%. This is using lucky imaging for deep sky work, tracking star movements.
SharpCap and my Windows 10 PC could keep up with the 294, and write frames as fast as I could collect them. This doesn't seem to be the case with the larger files of the 2600. I'm pretty sure that the rate-determining step is the speed of my hard disk drive, about which I can't easily do much.
So I tried a max frame rate of 2 per second, and it lost fewer frames, but still lost some. I could obviously set the max frame rate to 1 per second, but the time to expose 800 frames then starts to add up. I'd really prefer to set it to 1.5 fps if I could. I don't think I can set vales not in the menu for maximum frame rate. Is that correct?
(I don't seriously want to see the live stack - it's just a convenient way to weed out really bad frames, especially on nights when there are lots of passing clouds.)
Thank you,
Jane