Page 1 of 1
Anyone know what crater this is?
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2025 5:26 pm
by timh

- Snapshot of Moon_00002 21_56_42Z_Registax_affin.jpg (298.95 KiB) Viewed 2202 times
I managed to capture a single image of the moon before the clouds came over and conditions deteriorated. The trouble is I have no idea what it is that I have imaged except that it is near the terminator of a waxing half moon.
Based on the image scale the crater is about 70 miles across (1024 x 768 pixels at ~0.125 arcsec/ pixel - same set up as used below for Jupiter. 800 frames , 8.4 ms, gain 154 on ASI 715MC camera over about 35s.
Thanks if anyone knows. The detail looks quite good - resolving well below an arcsec based on pixel peeping.
Re: Anyone know what crater this is?
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2025 5:55 pm
by turfpit
Re: Anyone know what crater this is?
Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2025 6:44 pm
by turfpit
Tim
Looks like Arzachel (bottom left, red dot).

- Arzachel.JPG (84.31 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
Dave
Re: Anyone know what crater this is?
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2025 1:51 pm
by timh
Thanks Dave! I thought that you would be the one to know how to identify it. It was the first time I had looked at the moon with quite such a long focus/ small pixel set up and didn't realise how easy it is to get lost on the lunar surface. I can see me using the mosaic tool down the line -- I also found it very difficult to get rid of colour castes when using the MC camera so the picture above was actually converted to B/W to avoid the appearance of mossy green crater rims.
Tim
Re: Anyone know what crater this is?
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2025 3:58 pm
by turfpit
Tim
For any troublesome moss you can try a quick SCNR in PixInsight.
For colour lunar battles see
viewtopic.php?p=29623 particularly post #10. That image ended up on a Tesco cushion as a Christmas present for my grand-daughter.
More recently I have been experimenting setting the colour balance for R & B as both 50 with my ASI120MC.
With filters on mono images, I have had good results with:
- low elevation, Wratten #25 (red)
Lunar imaging thoughts:
- Starting out imaging - "the moon is an easy object because it is big and bright"
- 5 years later - "the moon is a difficult object because it is big and bright"
Dave
Re: Anyone know what crater this is?
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2025 11:24 pm
by timh
Thanks again Dave -- yes SCNR would have been a better approach -- and that final mineral moon picture was superb - I remember reading the thread at the time although it wasn't so relevant to anything that I was doing at the time. The virtual lunar atlas seems very useful too-- so I do plan to finally start having a go at more moon stuff with the 12 inch because - as you say - it is well suited to the task.
Re: Anyone know what crater this is?
Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2025 11:43 am
by turfpit
One feature of Virtual Moon Atlas I find useful is the
Ephemeris tab. By entering a date/time in the future and clicking
Compute, the display shows the illuminated moon at that date/time - useful for planning lunar imaging sessions.

- virtual-moon-atlas-planning.JPG (24.82 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
Dave