Page 1 of 1
Help with Live Stacking
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:20 pm
by rford322
I am sure this is a "settings" issue. After my guide camera died while out in a remote location, I decided to try live stacking. I was well aligned, three minute subs looked great, so I decided to use 1 minute subs for stacking. I am using a QHY268C and an SV 90mm scope on a Losmandy G11 mount. The image shows nice round stars, and some faint nebulosity. The odd thing is the red, green and blue streaks.
User error comes to mind, this is the first time I've tried live stacking, just starting it and using the default settings, comments and suggestions are welcome.

- NGC7822, 30 exposure stack of 1 minute each
- Stack_16bits_30frames_1800s.jpg (458.06 KiB) Viewed 3448 times
Re: Help with Live Stacking
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:32 pm
by Jean-Francois
Hello,
Hot pixel on one red pixel, hot pixel on one green pixel and hot pixel on one blue pixel of the RGB Bayer filter pattern.
You need to cool the camera (if not done yet) or cool more (if possible) or/and set the automatic hot pixel reduction in SharpCap.
In addition you should use a Dark image (but at the same detector temperature).
At the end you can use the dithering, if you have autoguiding with PHD2.
Regards,
Jean-Francois
Re: Help with Live Stacking
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:00 pm
by rford322
Thank you. The camera was cooled to 0 degrees, I did not use a dark frame. I think live stacking has a lot of potential, I just have to practice it a bit.
Re: Help with Live Stacking
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:13 am
by Gfischer
I love live stacking. I agree streaks look like hot pixels. Use a dark frame and you should be good. I use a Asi183mc non cooled with darks and works well.
Re: Help with Live Stacking
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:31 pm
by rford322
I think I too will love live stacking. One or two minute exposures, unguided almost like a Seestar, only better. Thanks.
Re: Help with Live Stacking
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:04 am
by RodgerDodger008
If not using a dark frame make sure to select at the very least hot pixel removal, that should eliminate this issue of walking noise when getting hot pixels.
I personally find using dark frames to be the best and if you are using a cooled cam you can take them in the day and use them for months.
Re: Help with Live Stacking
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2024 8:02 am
by pastorgalactico
Hello;
Where can I select hot pixel removal in Sharcap?
Regards.
Re: Help with Live Stacking
Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2024 10:31 am
by admin
Hi,
it's one of the choices in dark frame subtraction (in the preprocessing controls on the right) - you can either use a real dark frame, or use hot/cold pixel correction. You also get a slider to adjust how aggressive the hot/cold pixel correction is.
cheers,
Robin