Performance issues

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
astra

Performance issues

Post by astra »

As discussed in another topic, I have some performance issues. My minipc is based on J4125, memory used is about 40%. Sharpcap always uses about 50% cpu load. If I enable some overlay or stretch histogram to goes upto 60-70% for sharpcap process only. And that is only 16% zoom! 100% is much slower. I've tried firecapture with it's limit to fps for display presentation and it doesn't load CPU that much.

If I enable overlay or histogram stretch fps also drops.

Is it possible to limit view fps(not capture)?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-05-26 144326.jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-26 144326.jpg (190.67 KiB) Viewed 363 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Performance issues

Post by admin »

Hi,

there's no option at the moment to lower the frame rate further than the automatic management. The performance screenshot above though is really useful, as it shows that the bulk of the time is going into the display update. It may be worth making sure that you have proper graphics drivers installed (rather than relying on the Microsoft basic display adapter) and they are up to date. Also check to see if the option to use graphics card acceleration has been turned off in the first page of the SharpCap settings and turn back on if necessary. Finally, an interesting thing to test in this sort of circumstance is to use a real monitor/keyboard on the PC if you are using a remote connection to see if it is the remote connection that is causing some of the slowdown.

cheers,

Robin
astra

Post by astra »

Yes, I was using a RDP connection with the real 4k monitor, I lowered rdp resolution to 1400*900, it went WAY better when zooming 16% or 20% with CPU load about 35-40%. So we can say it was mostly fixed.

I was using it this way, but after a few hours while capturing timelapse (no focus, no reticle, no histogram stretch or overlays) it went back to 100% CPU load. I had to kill the sc process to make pc responsive.
astra

Post by astra »

A question. If the app will have an option to limit display button to lower values than 1024MB will it lower display fps?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand the question, sorry. I'm not quite working out what 'limit display to lower values than 1024Mb' means :(

cheers,

Robin
astra

Post by astra »

There is a memory limit slider in the option from 1024Mb to infitity for livestacking and display. If I set memory limit to 200Mb, will frames be dropped away? Will display fps increase in that case since the frames are dropped? Somehow firecapture manages to implement preview fps limit
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ah, OK.

No, the memory limit changes are unlikely to affect the display update rate - if you are just watching the image on screen, SharpCap can work with about 3 or 4 frames worth of memory. Having more memory available is really only used significantly when capturing.

If you turn on the option for additional 'Application Performance' logging in the SharpCap logging settings, the program should record information about how the display frame rate limited is deciding to set the display frame rate, which might reveal some useful info. It should be able to drop the displayed frame rate down to 1fps or so in order to keep the application from being bogged down if necessary.

cheers,

Robin