Use of flats and darks during livestacking
Posted: Thu May 23, 2024 10:35 pm
I have been getting some very noisy images while livestacking, and thought perhaps using flats and darks may help. I tried it a couple of times and got poor results, probably because I didn't have the settings correct during capture of darks and flats. I understand that flats and darks must be captured in advance of livestacking then chosen to be applied during the livestacking process.
When capturing dark frames in advance, I chose "capture dark" in the capture menu. Then I used all the same settings used when running livestacking - the gain was set to about 400 and the exposure set to 5 minutes, with the telescope lens cover on. Is that the correct way to do it?
For flats, I used a light panel, set the exposure to be 50% (white curve) on the histogram, and set the gain at about 400. Is that correct? Note- the instructions on the "capture flat" screen said to set a low gain... this is different from other references I used that said to use the same gain used during capure. Which is correct?
Thanks,
John
When capturing dark frames in advance, I chose "capture dark" in the capture menu. Then I used all the same settings used when running livestacking - the gain was set to about 400 and the exposure set to 5 minutes, with the telescope lens cover on. Is that the correct way to do it?
For flats, I used a light panel, set the exposure to be 50% (white curve) on the histogram, and set the gain at about 400. Is that correct? Note- the instructions on the "capture flat" screen said to set a low gain... this is different from other references I used that said to use the same gain used during capure. Which is correct?
Thanks,
John