Aurora
Posted: Sat May 11, 2024 1:50 pm
Wow! After waiting over 30 years to see a naked-eye aurora, not only do we get one here in Oxfordshire, but it's naked-eye visible right at the zenith... None of this 'a bit of a glow on the northern horizon' lark.
As well as getting outside and taking some photos with my phone camera, I had the all-sky camera running, which did a pretty good job. This video is unedited except to remove a couple of frames spoint by a security light coming on nearby.
Phone cameras also do a surprisingly good job on capturing the aurora, as many people have found out. I have a Pixel phone, so the camera is good and the software for it is great, particularly at low light imaging. Here's a selection...
Early on, with the Aurora still to the north and predominantly green






these are linked (hopefully) direct through to google photos - should work properly for everyone I think...
cheers,
Robin
As well as getting outside and taking some photos with my phone camera, I had the all-sky camera running, which did a pretty good job. This video is unedited except to remove a couple of frames spoint by a security light coming on nearby.
Phone cameras also do a surprisingly good job on capturing the aurora, as many people have found out. I have a Pixel phone, so the camera is good and the software for it is great, particularly at low light imaging. Here's a selection...
Early on, with the Aurora still to the north and predominantly green
these are linked (hopefully) direct through to google photos - should work properly for everyone I think...
cheers,
Robin