Upgrade behaviour and Solar Mosaic.

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Altocumulus

Upgrade behaviour and Solar Mosaic.

Post by Altocumulus »

I upgraded to the very latest version this morning, on two pcs.

On both upgrades, my second profile was removed. No major problem, just a little annoying.

I also sent an error report when running Solar Mosaic on my f33 setup. I asked it to automatically find the disc which it appeared to do, but then started to fail as it moved away from the rim. The green arc changed to red on occasion - I wonder if the presence of proms upset it too. The routine stopped, then closed Sharpcap after the error report.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade behaviour and Solar Mosaic.

Post by admin »

Hi,

were you upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1, or were you moving from an older 4.1 to a newer 4.1?

I must admit that I am not sure what would happen with an upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 for a second profile - I didn't think of testing that scenario - it could be that it finds enough settings already set that it skips the step of copying the second profile from the 4.0 settings to the 4.1 settings, making it look like your profile isn't there in 4.1 (it would still be there in 4.0).

If it was older 4.1 to newer 4.1 then I am totally stumped as that should not affect second profiles at all.

I will check the bug report from the mosaic tool - the auto alignment is still something that I am improving slowly, so feedback is good. I find that a somewhat over-exposed image seems to work best for the alignment. You get the green circles when the detection of the edge of the disc is considered 'good' - a relatively tight fit. A red circle indicates a bad fit which will not be used. If it moves and finds it cannot make a good detection then it should go back and try again, but maybe that didn't work properly.

cheers,

Robin
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Hi Robin,

The upgrade was between two versions of 4.1 - the very latest and one probably younger than 3 weeks old - but I didn't check.

Regarding the Mosaics.

The first one I used was at f11, created 4 quarters, but didn't leave enough overlap into the dark so that I've a very small bit of the disc missing - that was on CaK - and it otherwise seemed to work flawlessly with the auto edge find always green (whatever default settings as it was the first time I'd used this version).

The second with my Quark was all over the place with both green and red edges until it finally gave in and dropped out of the whole program.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

if you are missing bits between the panels then the two things you can do are

1) Revisit alignment and check that the 'Goto XXX Edge' buttons on the page after the alignment actually put the selected edge of the sun/moon in the middle of view - that validates the alignment is spot on

2) Increase the 'Minimum Overlap' setting to make SharpCap overlap the panels more

If you are missing bits at the edge, increase the 'Safety Margin', which makes SharpCap include more around the edge of the sun/moon.

I just checked the bug reports and found one that might be yours - the auto alignment was active when it crashed, but it was 4.1.11804, which is out-of-date now. The bug that was encountered is already fixed in 4.1.12100

cheers,

Robin
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Cheers Robin.

4.1.11804 - that was the one that downloaded at the start of my morning session.

As said I used default as this was the first time of using this new version of the mosaic, so learning curves.

Thanks

Geoff