Eclipse capabilities?

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
abillionnewstars

Eclipse capabilities?

Post by abillionnewstars »

Hi Robin,

Are there eclipse capabilities in the Sharcap future? There is a handful of not up-to-date software for dslr cameras but nothing to use astro cooled CMOS cameras. I am not sure if they would be capable of multiple frames per seconds. You probably have an answer to that 😉

Cheers
Stephan
admin
Site Admin

Re: Eclipse capabilities?

Post by admin »

Hi Stephan,

it's not something that I have built into SharpCap myself, but the tools to image an eclipse are all there, and some people used the SharpCap sequencing tool to generate automated image sequences to capture the recent eclipse (mostly) successfully.

See this thread here on the forums viewtopic.php?t=7451 - there is also a longer thread on the same topic over on cloudy nights.

cheers,

Robin
abillionnewstars

Post by abillionnewstars »

Hi Robin,

Based on that experience, do you see an "eclipse mode future" for Sharpcap?

It reads like only a couple users tried and it involved quite a bit of "under the hood" work.

Stephan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Stephan,

honestly, no, it's not something I want to add to SharpCap myself - it's not something I have any experience with, and there are a lot of potential pitfalls. I think in the end quite a number of people used the eclipse sequencing tool written by Linuxkidd, and the discussions and testing around the development of that tool brought out a whole series of good ideas and found some bugs.

cheers,

Robin