Mount controls !

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
melvin

Mount controls !

Post by melvin »

Hi, I have a zwo am5 mount and when the skies are clear!!! I want to image the Sun using my Explore 80mm telescope with a Quark on the zwo am5 mount along with my zwo 220 mm camera. I have been watching Micheal Owen’s video, which is very good, but my question is, can I control the mount using Sharpcap pro, if so how do I need to connect the cables. I know that the EAF will plug into my laptop to get focus and the mount into my battery (Jackery 240) for power.Can I set the mount to track the Sun through Sharpcap pro, how and where will I find detailed cable ling and settings in Sharpcap. Please advise
admin
Site Admin

Re: Mount controls !

Post by admin »

Hi,

hopefully someone who uses the AM5 can give you more details, but in outline...

* Connect mount to PC/laptop with USB cable.
* Make sure ASCOM platform (latest version installed)
* Install ZWO ASCOM driver from here : https://www.zwoastro.com/software/
* Tell SharpCap that you would like it to use your AM5 Mount - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#Config ... TO%20Mount
* You may need to use the 'Properties' button to do an initial setup of the ASCOM driver to talk to the AM5
* Open your camera, tick the 'Connected' box in the mount control box and then you can move and adjust your mount from within SharpCap.

hope this helps,

Robin
melvin

Post by melvin »

Thanks for that Robin, I’ll try it but are there any plans to make Sharpcap wi-if so it can be used without the need for cables similar to ZWO ASIAIR.
melvin

Post by melvin »

Thanks for that Robin, I’ll try it but are there any plans to make Sharpcap wi-if so it can be used without the need for cables similar to ZWO ASIAIR.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

no, no plans for Wifi or similar - although wireless connections to hardware seem convenient they are much more prone to glitches and problems than wired connections. The best way to do things is to put a small mini-PC at the telescope running SharpCap - this would have a wired connection to all the hardware. You can then use Wifi if you want to connect to the mini PC via remote access software (if the WIFI connection glitches and the remote access drops out, your imaging doesn't stop and it's easy to re-connect and continue).

cheers,

Robin
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Melvin,

WIFI connection lost can cause high damage to the equipment, when the connection is lost during a GOTO or other telescope movement.
It depends if the mount needs a "stop" command or not.

If the connection is lost during a slew, then it can happen that the telescope do no received a stop command ... and so the telescope continue to slew until something stop the movement.

With my first EAGLE mini computer, I did a lot of test with the WIFI connection.
The main problem was during a GOTO ... the orientation of the EAGLE and the antenna changed, and the connection was lost.
And when lost, it was not easy to reconnect. Most of the time it was necessary to move the telescope manually back until the connection was back.
In my case with the EQ8, it was without damage to the hardware because the slip clutch is not too strong.
But it could be a surprise to have your Newton pointing to the nadir.

Maybe today it is safer with the WIFI 6 or 7 as for 5 years ago.

Best regards,
Jean-Francois