Histogram window update becomes very slow in log mode

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
wdh

Histogram window update becomes very slow in log mode

Post by wdh »

Hi Folks

I encountered an issue today where the histogram window contents update very slowly with logarithmic checked.

The histogram window is responsive without logarithmic checked, but any operations such as scrolling in horizontal zoom mode or moving/resizing the window slow down dramatically with logarithmic checked, even causing the program to become unresponsive on occasion.

Note- the problem occurs on one of my two laptops. Details as follows:

Both systems running Windows 11 home edition.
Sharpcap version 4.1.12025.0, although the same problem shows with previous 4.1 version

The problem unit is an ACER Swift Edge, AMD Ryzen 2.7 Ghz 8 physical/16 logical core. 16G RAM
Display resolution 3840X1050

The unit without the problem is a Dell Inspiron, Intel I5 1.3 Ghz 10 physical/12 logical core. 16G RAM
Display resolution 1920x1080

Here is a log- test camera 1, open histogram, check horizontal zoom, scroll horizontally- window updates normally
Check logarithmic, scroll horizontally- window contents refresh VERY slowly.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Log_2024-04-12T15_45_21-15384.log
(208.6 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Histogram window update becomes very slow in log mode

Post by admin »

Hi,

this is an interesting one... I can't get it to happen myself, although thats probably not a surprise as it only affects one of your systems

The extra calculations needed to put the histogram graph into logarithmic form are pretty minimal, so that's unlikely to be causing the issue. I can see that you are using the default test camera image in your log, so no chance of it being some odd effect caused by a different image.

So, it comes down to differences between the two systems to see if any of those might be the cause. I tested here on both 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 with no problems, so I think it is unlikely to be the screen resolution, although adjusting it on the problem machine for a test might be worthwhile.

One thing I did notice in your log was the graphics driver version, which shows up as 'AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics, v31.0.12032.3002'. I struggled finding much online mentioning this version of the AMD graphics drivers, but what I did find suggested they were over 1 year old. It is probably worth finding and installing an update for the graphics drivers to see if that helps at all.

Another thing you can try is to bypass the graphics card acceleration entirely as a test (there is an option in the first page of the SharpCap settings to disable graphics card acceleration - turn off acceleration and restart SharpCap to test).

Hope this helps,

Robin
wdh

Post by wdh »

Thanks Robin! I forgot to mention that I tried it with and without GPU acceleration, and it made no difference. I'll look around for another driver. I'd really like to use the ACER because it's very light, USB-C powered, and has an OLED display and backlit keyboard. The histogram issue isn't a deal killer- it wouldn't be the first quirk I've encountered with the ACER so far.
wdh

Post by wdh »

Robin- updating the graphics driver cured it! I should have tried that first, but I'm always concerned about fixing something that ain't broken...

Thanks again,
Bill
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Bill,

good to hear that the graphics driver update did the trick! I will know what to suggest if the problem comes up again now :)

cheers and clear skies!

Robin