Show UCAC4 stars in the Deep Sky Annotation

Discussions on extending SharpCap using the built in Python scripting functionality
Jean-Francois

Re: Show UCAC4 stars in the Deep Sky Annotation

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Robin,

I have a quick test of the last version ... the new script functions SharpCap.DeepSkyAnnotation are working good.
Many thanks.

Regards,
Jean-Francois
watan_rockhand

Post by watan_rockhand »

Hello

I tried running it and got an error. I'm attaching that screen and SharpCap Log.
Will this explain what went wrong?

Best regards,
Hiroyuki Watanabe
Attachments
UCSC4 2024-04-21 222317.jpg
UCSC4 2024-04-21 222317.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
UCAC4 script error log.txt
(106.88 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
UCAC4 error.jpg
UCAC4 error.jpg (657.88 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Hiroyuki,

Thanks for using my script.

I tried to catch all possible file error (if the file or the directory does not exist).
You have may be found one "test" that I forget to check (congratulation :-))

I can see that you change the variable UCAC4. But can you confirm that you have on your computer the original UCAC4 catalogue ?
That is the "old" files coming with the DVD. It is 900 files from "z002" to "z900" with 8.26 GB.

For the script_path ... OK, you change it, it should be not necessary while you have the 4.1 version.
The script can find his location automatically with the 4.1 version.

From the error log file, I can see that you use an older version of my Cal_LED script.

With Python I remark a very annoying behaviour ... sometimes it depends which script is started first or 2 scripts can work perfectly only when started from the IronPython console, but no more when started from the menu. The last days, I did some improvements ... not use a generic function name for similar function in different script.

We can try the following ... here a ZIP with the last version of both script.
Hiroyuki_test_version.zip
(8.5 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
With SharpCap 4.1.12066, this last UCAC4 script now opens automatically the Deep Sky Annotation (if not yet open) and paste the stars directly (no need to click on the Paste Custom Objects).

Do you already test my "Occultation" script ? If not ... then I can propose that you test my last version.
Occultation_test_version.zip
(35.8 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Best regards,
Jean-Francois
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

oups ... It is from "z001" not from "z002".
watan_rockhand

Post by watan_rockhand »

Hello,

I got an error message that the UCAC4 catalog data on my PC was incorrect, so I downloaded the UCAC4 catalog data again, reconfigured it, and started SharpCap, but another error occurred. It seems that UCAC4 read.exe is incorrect.

Reagrds,
Hiroyuki Watanabe
Attachments
UCAC4 script error log_20240422.txt
(99.19 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
UCAC4 error4.jpg
UCAC4 error4.jpg (108.85 KiB) Viewed 992 times
UCAC4 error3.jpg
UCAC4 error3.jpg (111.27 KiB) Viewed 992 times
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Hiroyuki,

We are 2 steps further ... only 1 or 2 steps more :-)

Please check that you have the "UCAC4_read.exe" program from this message: viewtopic.php?p=42146#p42146
If you check the time (right click on the file in Explorer) ... the date shall be Saturday the 13 Apr 13:48:47 2024.

But may be here we have a problem with the date/time format between different country.
My Windows is set to German, but SharpCap is set to English.

What you can do ...

- Start SharpCap, if you have the errors coming from my script, close the messages
- Start the IronPython console and load the script "UCAC4_annotation_1.5.py" or "Occultation_2024-04-21.py"
- Start the script and close the error messages
- In the script copy the line (136 or 138) "UCAC4_read_time = time.ctime(os.path.getmtime(Occultation_script_path + "\\UCAC4_read.exe"))"
in the upper part of the console and click "Return"
- after that only "UCAC4_read_time" and click "Return"

Send me the string you will have.
With my computer, I have: 'Sat Apr 13 13:48:47 2024'

Regards,
Jean-Francois
watan_rockhand

Post by watan_rockhand »

Hello,

Unfortunately, it seems that the exe file on my PC becomes the file at that time when it is copied from the Zip file.

Regards,
Hiroyuki Watanabe
Attachments
UCAC4 error5.jpg
UCAC4 error5.jpg (275.79 KiB) Viewed 971 times
watan_rockhand

Post by watan_rockhand »

Hello,

The problem of the Zip file's date changing was resolved, but the date was 1 second different, so I changed the script's check date and the script was now executed.
However, another error is occurring. Please check the log.

Regards,
Hiroyuki Watanabe
Attachments
UCAC4 script error log_20240423.txt
(105.41 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
UCAC4 error7.jpg
UCAC4 error7.jpg (632.41 KiB) Viewed 958 times
UCAC4 error6.jpg
UCAC4 error6.jpg (317.39 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello Hiroyuki,

That is odd.

For testing ... I did 2 times the following ...
I download the ZIP from the SharpCap forum. I unzip it and then copy the UCAC4_read.exe in my script directory.
And then I did the sequence of the preceding message and I have 'Sat Apr 13 13:48:47 2024'.

It exist 3 "get_time" function ...
time.ctime(os.path.getmtime(Occultation_script_path + "\\UCAC4_read.exe"))
time.ctime(os.path.getatime(Occultation_script_path + "\\UCAC4_read.exe"))
time.ctime(os.path.getctime(Occultation_script_path + "\\UCAC4_read.exe"))

With the "m" for modification, the "a" is for the last access, with the "c" for the creation (in Windows).

But now ... why I select the "m" ? ... the "creation" should be the correct choice.
If I use the "getctime" function on the UCAC4_read.exe file, I have the following string: 'Sat Apr 13 13:49:05 2024'
Note the small difference in the time.

But ... it continues to be very odd.
It has an impact if the file is copied "over" an existing file or if it is paste in an empty directory.
The "creation" is not the time of compiling the exe, but the time of the creation in the directory.
If you copy the same file over an older one ... the "creation" time stays the old time.

That is really annoying. It depends if the user paste the file the first time or overwrite it with a new version.

So I need to find a different method for testing the correction version.

The idea for checking the date of the file is ... so it is not necessary to change the file name in the script for every new version.

==> So, if you use the last version of the UCAC4_read.exe file,
in the script, you can modify the string "UCAC4_read_time" with your string "Tue Apr 23 02:56:59 2024".

Has somebody an idea how to check the version of a file ?

Regards,
Jean-Francois
Jean-Francois

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello,

The "one second" difference is more than annoying ... it works a little, but not completely.
But that makes a big difference for the test of the string.
One time is OK, other time it produces an error.

I was thinking to add a function in the UCQC4_read.exe program ...

If you open a DOS command window and then change the directory to the location of the UCAC4_read.exe,
and if you type only "UCAC4_read", then you will have a small help. Note that is the original help of the C-code.

I can modify the code for giving back a versions number (with a parameter "-v").
Then in the Python script, I can get the version number from the UCAC4_read program itself.

Concerning the last error ... I tried to repeat it ... but it works each time or I have a different error (coming from the Python script, not from Windows). If the user \AnnotationCatalogs directory does not exist, the exe program will create it.

Can you check that you have the directory C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\SharpCap\AnnotationCatalogs and the file "currentroi.txt" ?
The directory C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\ is hidden ... you need first to change a setting in the Explorer for showing the hidden directories.

Regards,
Jean-Francois