live view

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Francisco G

live view

Post by Francisco G »

Hello. I just updated Sharp Cap to version 4.1 and when I run it it has a problem that doesn't occur with version 4.0. The live images seem to slow down to almost frozen, with a very slow refresh on sreem, very similar to when stacking. Which is a problem because it doesn't allow me to focus on images of the Sun. I've reinstalled it several times and can't fix it. I've even exported the version 4.0 setting that works properly. Any advice? Thanks a lot
admin
Site Admin

Re: live view

Post by admin »

Hi,

sorry to hear this :(

The first thing to check is to work out if the camera is running slowly or the display update is slow. If you watch the frame count in the status bar at the bottom left, you should be able to tell if the frame count is going up by 1 every time the image on screen changes, or if it is going up much faster and the image is only updating now and then. Knowing that will allow us to focus on the right area when looking for this problem.

Another thing worth trying is to reset the camera settings by holding down <CTRL> while opening the camera - that stops SharpCap from reloading any previously saved settings for the camera. To be honest, I think that is not very likely to help, but it is simple to do and is worth trying - to rule out camera settings as much as anything.

thanks,

Robin
Francisco G

Post by Francisco G »

Thank you Robin for your tips.
After writing I was struggling more with the problem and I think it was also with the memory parameters in the configuration. Whenever I updated the Sharp Cap it kept the parameters of "High Speed Frame Cache" and "Live Stacking & Display". This time when upgrading to 4.1 these were placed at the minimum value. And interestingly, I then increased the second one and not the first.
With your advice and changing the HSFC at 24993 Mb and the LS&D at 1024 Mb it works just as well for me as before in the tests on the table, because we have an impressive streak of overcast skies. I think it's the solution I was looking for because focusing on the Sun, and more so with turbulence, I need a high refresh rate in the images on the screen. If you have any more advice on this I will be very grateful. And thank you for your kindness.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Francisco,

normally I wouldn't expect changing those settings to have much effect on the performance when just viewing the image (HSFC really only comes into play when capturing video to a slow SSD or hard drive). However, it's good to hear that the issue is no longer causing you problems :)

cheers,

Robin
Francisco G

Post by Francisco G »

Hi Robin.
You're right, and I'm still having the same problem. Surely I let myself be carried away by tests on the inside and not with the Sun until today. I'm still with the same two versions, 4.0 and 4.1, and I'm working good with 4.0. Following your advice, I check that the camera and it is running fast at 162 fps while on the screen the display update is very slow.
I also reset the camera by pressing CTRL while opening the camera, but it didn't have any effect. The problem persists. Interestingly, in version 4.0 it works perfectly. Any ideas? Thank you very much for your attention. Francis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

a few more things to check I think

1) Check the option for using graphics card acceleration is set the same in both 4.0 and 4.1 (on the first page of the SharpCap settings). You could also try changing that to see if it has any effect

2) Have a look in the SharpCap log after the problem happens in 4.1 to see if there are any warnings showing up about performance/slowness - feel free to post the log here for me to review.

3) Try the very latest version of SharpCap 4.1 from our downloads page, which is newer than the version that you would have received via auto-update.

thanks,

Robin