How do I know the Full Well of a px 3x3 binned ASI294 MM

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
GaryS

How do I know the Full Well of a px 3x3 binned ASI294 MM

Post by GaryS »

Hi All;
Thanks for pitching in to help me determine how to figure out the saturation of a Bin 3 pixel on this confusing camera.

I believe I've learned that hardware binning is limited to Bin 2 and Bin 3 and Bin 4 are binned in software. So if I'm doing photometry, where saturation is a bad thing, how do I know when I would saturate a pixel when its set to Bin 2x2 (hardware binning) versus the full well depth when binned 3x3 in software?

Many thanks if you can clarify this for me!
cheers
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I know the Full Well of a px 3x3 binned ASI294 MM

Post by admin »

Hi,

for the ASI294MM, SharpCap gives you these options

* small pixels : Read mode 47 megapixels, bin 1 and 3 available - equivalent to bin 1 and 3 in other software
* large pxiels : Read mode 11 megapixels, bin 1 and 2 avaialble - equivalent to bin 2 and 4 in other software.

You can do the sensor analysis in 11 megapixel mode, bin 1 in SharpCap to get the full well depth of the hardware binning setup with 11 megapixels.

You can also do the sensor analysis in 47 megapixel mode, bin 1 to work out the full well depth of individual small pixels. The full well depth for 3x3 binning is either going to be the same (image gets brighter when switching to 3x3 binning) or 9 times bigger (image doesn't get brighter when switching to 3x3 binning).

cheers,

Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Hi Robin

When you say: "The full well depth for 3x3 binning is either going to be the same.....what would it be the same as?

Also, ZWO publishes the FW for Bin 2 (default) with 4.63u pixels at 66k and for the 'unlocked' Bin 1 with 2.3u pixels, at 14k.

What I'm trying to learn is, when I use bin 3x3 (which under-samples my images), at what adu will each pixel in the 3x3 array saturate? Is this saturation not a known adu number for that camera or must we run a sensor analysis to determine it?
thank you,
Gary
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

OK, so the 3x3 binning is done by either averaging or adding together the valeus of 9 1x1 pixels. Each 1x1 pixel has a FWD of 14ke.

If the binning is done by adding, the image will get brighter when binning is applied (by a factor of 9 times brighter). If this is the case then the FWD at 3x3 bining is 14ke - the same as at 1x1 binning. The individual pixels would be unsaturated, but the sum of all 9 pixel values would be saturated.

If the binning is done by averaging, the image brightness will stay the same when changing binning. In this case, the FWD will be 9*14ke = 126ke.

cheers,

Robin