Color saturation on the main preview

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Creativspelerr

Color saturation on the main preview

Post by Creativspelerr »

I have a color QHY IMX174 planetary camera that I also use with a microscope to show students a video feed of living pond-water organisms. The global shutter and high frame rate do a good job of capturing the rapid movements, but the color saturation is dull compared to looking in the microscope visually.

The planetary live-stack has a saturation slider and the "auto adjust brightness/colour" button work beautifully! Except since the images are stacked, it's not suitable for a video feed of moving objects. I know that's a bit outside the standard use case, but I can't be the only person who wants to use an astrocam on a microscope.

Perhaps it would be relatively simple to add the saturation slider and the auto color balance button to the main preview screen? (Or add a button to disable stacking in the planetary stacking module, but keep as many as possible of the other image processing controls active)
admin
Site Admin

Re: Color saturation on the main preview

Post by admin »

Hi,

I see what you mean - astro cameras tend to give rather muted colours by default compared to consumer cameras...

Given the number of controls that you alread get on the right hand side, I'm reluctant to add another set for saturation/colour balance (especially as some cameras have those anyway). (mis)-using planetary live stacking seems a reasonable hack for this... How about if I drop the minimum number of frames in the stack to 2 (not sure if 1 will upset the stacking algorithm, so best avoided). With a 2 frame stack the effect of stacking on the image should be pretty tiny, but you get access to the colour adjustments.

cheers,

Robin