Eclipse Sequence Generator

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
stbkaiser

Re: Eclipse Sequence Generator

Post by stbkaiser »

WOW
Talk about timing.
I have been educating myself on the scripting environment (slow progress) to get something crude for the upcoming eclipse.
Thanks for your work on this LK!!!!!!
you have a willing test subject here in Texas.
And Thank you Robin for making this possible via Sharpcap!
Take care
Steve
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Linuxkidd
Reading your information on this script generator.
You mention
using {Exposure} in the filename to give file a unique identifier.
You are doing this automatically in the script generator, correct?
Thanks
Steve
linuxkidd

Post by linuxkidd »

stbkaiser wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:58 pm You mention using {Exposure} in the filename to give file a unique identifier.
You are doing this automatically in the script generator, correct?
Hi Steve,
I don't see a way of changing the filename format from the Sequencer. If you can point out how, I'd be happy to integrate it. Otherwise, it'll be up to the end-user to adjust their file format in:
File -> SharpCap Settings -> Filenames:

Code: Select all

[x] Edit Filename Templates Manually ( must be checked )
Single File (Video): {Date:S}\{TargetName}\{Time}_{Exposure}
This is what I have mine set to...

Note that this won't prevent collisions for one or two entry capture plans during totality..

@Robin - Could we maybe add a time millisecond option for the filename formats? This would definitely solve the file name collision risk.

Thanks!
LK
Remote Observatory: At Astronomer's Paradise, Animas, NM
QHY600 PH with Astronomik filters via a Planewave CDK 12.5
AstroPhysics 1100-GTO AE Guided by ONAG-XM + ZWO ASI 174mm-mini
Links: Beyond1AU.com / Allsky / SharpCap Eclipse Sequence Generator
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Sorry, there's no way currently to set the filename formats from the sequencer. Not entirely sure that I would want to add that, since there is so much scope for setting them in broken ways (in the UI, the code can check and prompt the user to fix the problem, but in the sequencer there is no real option but to error out the whole sequence).

The normal solution for still files not overwriting each other is for the filename template to contain {Index} - that way if you capture multiple frames either in a single capture or by snapshots, the frames should have incrementing indices and not overwrite. Does that not work in this case?

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It occurred to me that if you do need to make the filenames 'more unique' then you could use the generated sequence to change the target name - 'totality 200ms', 'totality 500ms', etc.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just to let people know that I have uploaded a preview release to this thread : viewtopic.php?t=7470

Amongst other changes, it includes the new pad timing step discussed above. There is also quite a substantial change to how communication with ASCOM devices is handled to avoid SharpCap locking up if the ASCOM driver fails to respond to requests. While this has worked OK in my own testing, I am on the lookout for any issues it might introduce, either with particular devices that do not like the changed method of working or for cases where errors from ASCOM devices may not be handled in the same way that they were previously.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

LK
OK I see filename template in the settings.
I will be sure to set that.

As for the file naming during capture.
From Looking at a sample of the code generated by your program.
Are you only worried about file name collisions during totality because of the rapid acquisition ?

Take care
Steve
linuxkidd

Post by linuxkidd »

stbkaiser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:28 pm Are you only worried about file name collisions during totality because of the rapid acquisition ?
Hi Steve,
Yes, that's exactly my concern. If the 'Capture Plan' for totality doesn't take at least 1 second, there will be a naming collision.

Hi Robin,
Thanks so much for the `PAD` instruction!

So far, I've been using the live capture mode in the sequence generator. In my reading, it appears there may be some buffered frames from prior settings at the beginning of the capture if it's performed immediately after a settings change, but I'm worried about how quickly the single exposure will download frames and move to the next sequence step. I'm sure this depends a lot on the camera itself.

Do you have any guidance here on how to get fast frames and eliminate the overlap of settings in a single SER file, for example?
Is there any way to check the frame buffer state or clear the frame cache after a settings change?

Thanks again!
LK
Remote Observatory: At Astronomer's Paradise, Animas, NM
QHY600 PH with Astronomik filters via a Planewave CDK 12.5
AstroPhysics 1100-GTO AE Guided by ONAG-XM + ZWO ASI 174mm-mini
Links: Beyond1AU.com / Allsky / SharpCap Eclipse Sequence Generator
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Robin, Lk
I’ve studied the eclipse path and timing of totality for my location.
Totality will occur about 10 minutes after meridian.
So I hope to be imaging the entire eclipse with my Lunt.
I would like to trigger a flip , maybe 4-5 deg before meridian.
Will it be possible to have sharpcap trigger a meridian flip while Lk’s sequence is running?
Would this be an automatic action by sharpcap if setup?
Thanks for help on this.
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi LK,

as you surmise, buffered frames are very much camera dependent - one to three would be typical, with some cameras using less as the exposure gets longer, but not all. If you are running at short exposurs then make the setting change, wait a fraction of a second to let a few frames go by then start capturing. Once you are beyond 0.1s then that is less attractive, and still mode isn't really ideal until you get to 1 to 2s. In that middle range, it is awkward... A switch to still mode and back should flush things and is probably quick and robust for ZWO cameras, but slower and may have some risk of error on other brands if you do it a *lot*...

Steve,

There is no current way of performing an early flip (and anyway, meridian flip support in the sequencer is pretty experimental). Late flips are supported, you would need to configure the ASCOM driver to allow tracking past the meridian by an appropriate amount. Definitely something to practice in advance!

cheers,

Robin