Meridian flip during eclipse?

Discussions of using SharpCap for Solar or Lunar Imaging
stbkaiser

Meridian flip during eclipse?

Post by stbkaiser »

Studying the path and timing of the eclipse using SkySafari , I noticed my equatorial mount will be trying to do a meridian flip during totality..
Yikes
Am I mistaken in what I’m seeing in the app?
How can this be handled if trying to do continuous imaging during totality?
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Meridian flip during eclipse?

Post by admin »

Hi,

if it was me, I would adjust settings on my mount in advance to allow it to track past the meridian by a small amount (5 - 10 degrees maybe). Check that you don't end up with hardware hitting the tripod/pier with the new setting (unlikely for a small amount past meridian, but worth testing). That should postpone the need to flip by 20 minutes for 5 degrees past and 40 minutes for 10 degrees past.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Thanks robin.
I will give that a try .
That way I should be able to capture the entire totality.
I need to practice this to get it working smoothly.

For the actual Flip.
I may try the technique suggested by Eric
Re: Auto meridian flip?
#7Unread post by giraud » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:11 pm
"I then save the current mount coordinates and apply them again, and as expected the mount performs the meridian flip on its own as it has just past the meridian. "

Take care
Steve
Chuckwagon

Post by Chuckwagon »

Hmmm, this post has me wondering. I was looking at the timing in Starry Night and it shows that totality starts about 16 minutes after I'd need to do a meridian flip. I had my location set for Lake Fork, TX. I would assume there will be a few minutes difference for the start of totality based on location. The eclipse2024.org Eclipse Simulator indicates totality will start at 13:42:35 CDT (GMT -5) for the location I specified, which was about the same as what Starry Night indicates. Does that seem about right? I'd think a 16 minute window should allow me enough time to do a flip, unless I really screw it up. :) But if I'm not looking at these things correctly I'd rather figure it out now then on the day. Where are you viewing from? If it's quite a bit more SW from where I targeted I can see the timing putting the flip into totality. Glad you brought this up so I could think about it now.

Thanks,
Chuck