QHY Filter wheel connection error

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
cuthbertdavies

QHY Filter wheel connection error

Post by cuthbertdavies »

Using Sharp Cap 4.0 it will not connect my filter wheel. It is connected to the camera using the cable provided by QHY. However using Sharp Cap 3.2 it connects just fine setup the exact same way. Not sure what is going on or what has changed in 4.0
admin
Site Admin

Re: QHY Filter wheel connection error

Post by admin »

Hi,

I must admit that I hadn't tried out the QHY filter wheel connected via the camera for a while, so I had to go and dig out the wheel and a compatible camera to check it still worked.

For me, all seems fine in SharpCap 4.0 and 4.1. The things I am aware of are

* The camera needs 12V power before the wheel can be used, even if you can take pictures on the camera without 12V power

* The wheel must have finished its initial calibration spin after power on before you open the camera, otherwise it does not show up.

This was tested with a QHY174M-GPS and CFW2-S

If you check the SharpCap log after opening the camera, you should be able to find the line that records if SharpCap is being told about the filter wheel port on the camera

Code: Select all

Info    14:36:01.015845 #1  CONTROL_CFWPORT implemented : True   
That will be false if the QHY camera is not reporting the filter wheel port. There is also a second check to see if the filter wheel is actually connected, which is not recorded so clearly in the log. To see that check you will need to turn on an option in the SharpCap logging settings to record additional information about camera communications before opening the camera. If you do that you should see this in the log

Code: Select all

Verbose 14:42:06.106361 #1  Camera : SharpCap.Cameras.QHY.IQHYCamera.IsFilterWheelPluggedIn :: Starting IsFilterWheelPluggedIn()
Verbose 14:42:06.609273 #1  Camera : SharpCap.Cameras.QHY.IQHYCamera.IsFilterWheelPluggedIn :: Completed (returned True) IsFilterWheelPluggedIn()
cheers,

Robin