Memory Allocation, Bug Reporting

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
dsojda55

Memory Allocation, Bug Reporting

Post by dsojda55 »

Robin,
Thank you for creating this great program. I would appreciate your input/clarification. I have SharpCap Pro v.4.1.11786 installed.

From the manual v 4.1:
“If you have a SharpCap Pro license then you can increase the amount of memory allocated to each category, up to a total of 50% of your physical memory or physical memory less 6Gb (whichever is larger),”

Under File > Settings > Memory Tab > Memory Limits

I have 16 Gb of ram - 16Gb – 6Gb = 10Gb could be set, 5 Gb for each category.

However, I cannot set the limits above 4096 Mb to attain 5 Gb equally for each category .

Additionally, from the manual on how to report a bug:

“You may need to enable the option 'Record extra information in the log for troubleshooting' to get a more detailed log of the things SharpCap did (and tried to do. This can be found near the bottom of the first page of the SharpCap settings window. Turn this option on immediately after opening SharpCap (before selecting your camera).”

When going to File > SharpCap Settings > General Tab I do not find this setting. Thanks in advance.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Re: Memory Allocation, Bug Reporting

Post by admin »

Hi,

OK, so I am thinking that maybe some of the memory on your system is being reserved by the hardware or Windows OS, so SharpCap is being told the total physical memory is smaller than the installed 16Gb. If you look in the SharpCap log, just after starting, you should see a line which records the amount of physical memory that Windows is reporting to SharpCap

Code: Select all

Info    13:41:31.029428 #14 SystemMemory: 64696Mb   
I would expect maximum total of the two sliders to be about 6100Mb less than the value reported here. If that figure works out then you are getting the expected behaviour - it's just that for some reason your system is hiding some of the memory in the values it gives to SharpCap.

On the extra logging for bug reporting, there is now a 'logging' tab in the settings, which has multiple options for recording different types of additional logging information - it looks like the bug reporting section of the documentation hasn't been updated to reflect this, although the main documentation on the SharpCap settings should have the right information.

Were you trying to set the values higher for a particular reason? There was a bug in 4.1.11786 which led to a memory issue if you used planetary live stacking with the selection area active. This is now fixed in 4.1.11799.

cheers,

Robin
dsojda55

Post by dsojda55 »

Hi

The computer has 16Gb, each setting references 4 Gb for a total of 8 Gb which is half so the computer is reporting the correct amount to SharpCap.I thought I'd try bumping it up as I am runnig only 2 programs on the computer. It's not a big deal just thought you might want to know and take a look including a correction to the manual.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yep, my thinking is that the total of 16Gb is not being reported by Windows for one reason or another, so SharpCap is working from a slightly different figure - that's what the log entry would reveal to us.

cheers,

Robin