Does banding suppression have to be done at the same exposure you take your lights at?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Borodog

Does banding suppression have to be done at the same exposure you take your lights at?

Post by Borodog »

Last night I tried to use banding suppression with my (uncooled) ASI183MC. I set the controls at 1s exposure just so I could see the effect in a reasonable time, but when I switched the exposure to 16s for the darks & lights, the banding in the resulting frames was actually worse. Do you have to set this control with the same exposure as the darks and lights? If so it seems prohibitive time-wise to figure out what settings to use.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Does banding suppression have to be done at the same exposure you take your lights at?

Post by admin »

Hi,

to some extent the answer is yes...

You can set the banding suppression value at shorter exposures, but the threshold may well be the issue. SharpCap doesn't apply banding suppression to areas of the image above the brightness level set by the threshold, so if you set the threshold at 1s exposures, then change to 30s, the image may well brighten enough to move most/all of the background past your threshold and effectively turn the suppression off.

The threshold is measured in %, so if you look at the histogram of a full exposure light or dark, you can read off the % of the right side of the background peak and use that as a starting point.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Re: Does banding suppression have to be done at the same exposure you take your lights at?

Post by Borodog »

Thanks, Robin.