Aristoteles & Eudoxus 2-panel mosaic

A place to share images that you have taken with SharpCap.
Forum rules
Please upload large images to photo sharing sites (flickr, etc) rather than trying to upload them as forum attachments.

Please share the equipment used and if possible camera settings to help others.
turfpit

Aristoteles & Eudoxus 2-panel mosaic

Post by turfpit »

A 2-panel mosaic, captured 18th Jan 2024 around 17:23, of a 50% waxing moon.

Equipment: Celestron AVX mount, Celestron C8 SCT, Celestron 2X Barlow, Altair 183M camera, IR685 filter, JMI motorised focuser.
Software: SharpCap 4.1 64-bit, Autostakkert 3, Microsoft Image Composite Editor, WaveSharp beta v1.0.0, GIMP 2.10.
Capture details (each panel): 500 frames @ 35fps (14s total capture time), 1920x1200, SER, MONO8, exposure=23.4ms, gain=200, Brightness=0.
Post-process: AS3 stack best 25% of 500, AP size =96, ~350 APs. Microsft ICE to stitch panels. WaveSharp see screenshot below for Wavelets, slight gamma applied. GIMP for contrast/brightness.

2024-01-18-1722_7-183m-2_lapl5_ap357_stitch_WS.jpg
2024-01-18-1722_7-183m-2_lapl5_ap357_stitch_WS.jpg (732.46 KiB) Viewed 1580 times

ICE.JPG
ICE.JPG (69.08 KiB) Viewed 1580 times

WaveSharp.JPG
WaveSharp.JPG (141.99 KiB) Viewed 1580 times

2024-01-18-1722_7-183m-2.CameraSettings.txt
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

WaveSharp is 64-bit software (Registax is 32-bit) which handily solves the problem I did have loading lunar mosaics for sharpening.
Info for WaveSharp:

https://www.astronomie.be/registax/ via Registax site.

https://github.com/CorBer/waveSharp software download and documentation.

Dave
timh

Re: Aristoteles & Eudoxus 2-panel mosaic

Post by timh »

Superb Dave. Just catching up with stuff I missed. Wavesharp looks interesting
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Tim

See
viewtopic.php?t=7382. I have been re-processing lunar images with waveSharp. As always with new software, a time investment is needed to get the best out of it.

Dave
timh

Post by timh »

Thanks Dave, very useful account of exactly what to do and I will give it a serious go with the 12 inch Newt one of these nights. I was interested in thinking through the whole question of what aperture, focal length etc should really work best for lunar/ planetary imaging and came across this thread on CN which seemed a good discussion https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/4735 ... r-imaging/
Tim
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Tim

An interesting link which brings out some conflicting advice (as usual with this type of thread).

I have done OK with the Celestron C8 SCT. According to the Astronomy Tools CCD Suitability Calculator the C8 with my cameras leads to slight over-sampling which becomes worse with the addition of the 2x Barlow. A Vixen 81s refractor has been used for capturing full disk mineral moons with a ZWO ASI120MC USB2 camera.

The cameras I use are:
  • Altair 183M, USB3, CMOS, pixel size=2.4µm. I use 1920x1200 to get a respectable 35fps. Any capture area greater than this drops the speed to 17fps.
  • QYH5LII-M, USB2, CMOS, pixel size=3.75µm. I can get 45fps if I run at 1024x768. Stacking with drizzle 1.5 seems to give good results with the camera.
  • Skyris 618M, USB3, CCD, pixel size=5.6µm. This runs at 120fs with its maximum capture area of 640x480. Tends to mean I have to capture mosaics (which is not a problem) to capture larger features.
Data capture is always SER and 8-bit mono.

Filters used:
  • IR685, good for large % illumination or capturing before darkness.
  • UV/IR cut, good general purpose.
  • Wratten #25 (red) to deal with atmospheric turbulence at lower elevations.
  • UV/IR cut + red for low elevation high % illumination disks.
The biggest single equipment improvement to my lunar images was the addition of 'hands-off' focusing with the JMI motorised focuser.

The biggest improvement to my data capture was:
  • The use of the FX Over Exposed tool - just back off exposure until the 'black areas' disappear which leaves the histogram around 60% saturation
  • Zoom to 150% when focusing
The biggest improvement with my post processing has been a lighter touch with sharpening in Registax/waveSharp.

Processing software:
  • PIPP for image stabilisation, which helps when the stacks are ragged (atmospheric turbulance)
  • Autostakkert to stack SER videos
  • Microsoft Image Composite Editor for stitching mosaics.
  • Registax/waveSharp for sharpening
  • GIMP for brightness/contrast/cropping. Although use of this has become less as I have become better at using the above programs.
There are other programs which can perform theses functions.

In a 1 hour capture session I can easily run to 100Gb of data (if I am organised). Plenty of information in this post viewtopic.php?t=7382

My first 2 years of lunar images were rubbish and really need erasing from the disk. 2020 saw the big improvements - helped by attending a couple of 1 day lunar imaging workshops run by Damian Peach (1st time was information overload, 1 year later I could actually ask sensible questions).

Dave