Sequencer: Sync to previously saved -> how to save ?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Tom°Dresden

Re: Sequencer: Sync to previously saved -> how to save ?

Post by Tom°Dresden »

Hello,
Save Co-ordinates <ParkRA, ParkDec> for later use
IMHO it would be nice to call it just RA, DEC. It is an (ASCOM) target, and normally you can SYNC or SLEW to(AKA GOTO) a target, that's it.
SYNC to RA/DEC ist also used if you align your mount (set park position is only a special case of align) to a position.

I think it should be as general and generic as possible, you've seen how long it took to explain this, which could lead to constant misunderstandings.

Generic would IMHO be to have a Sync to RA/DEC, and a GOTO RA/DEC.

Regards,

Thomas
Tom°Dresden

Post by Tom°Dresden »

Hello,

I just wanted to say thanks again, it works as expected and is a great help for mounts that can't save a parking position.

CS
Thomas
SteveInNZ

Post by SteveInNZ »

As a start position, I would find it more useful to tell the mount that it was pointing to an Alt-Az position (eg. the pole), rather than RA and Dec. You'd have to assume/confirm that it's in a counterweight down orientation.

Steve.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

glad the new step is helpful ;)

Just thinking about Steve's Alt/Az suggestion - even then I think you have a problem since if you are pointing at the exact pole in Alt/Az then in theory Dec = +/-90 and *any* RA satisfy that position.

Standard 'weights down, scope up' park is - I think - at Dec=+90, Hour Angle = 6 (at least here in the northern hemisphere). HA = LST - RA, so RA = LST - HA. So, maybe in python scripting you could sync the mount to Dec=90, RA=LST - 6 to tell it that it is in the 'default park' position.

cheers,

Robin