Atik Horizon Intermittent Connection Issue

CraigG

Atik Horizon Intermittent Connection Issue

Post by CraigG »

Hi,

I have a Atik Horizon OSC "classic" camera, not the newer Horizon II, and just started using SC 4.1. I've noticed an intermittent connection issue when starting SC and getting it to recognize the Horizon. It probably connects successfully at startup 75% of the time. This is after always shutting down SC with the Horizon connected at the end of the previous session and with the "Automatically reconnect" box checked. I can eventually get SC to recognize the Horizon and connect after unplugging the camera and rescanning with SC.

I'm wondering if there is a suggested startup sequence...when power is applied, the USB connection is made, etc....that might improve the chance of a successful initial connection? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Craig
admin
Site Admin

Re: Atik Horizon Intermittent Connection Issue

Post by admin »

Hi Craig,

do you have the latest version of the Atik core software installed? SharpCap uses that to communicate with the camera, so it's just possible that a newer version may have bug fixes.

Beyond that, I'd be tempted to have a look in Windows device manager when you have trouble getting connected to the camera in SharpCap to see if the camera is showing up properly in device manager. If it is missing (or showing as an error) in device manager then it means the USB communications have failed or glitched. If the camera requried 12V to be used at all (ie doesn't show on the PC if no 12V) then unplug/replug of 12V may be the easiest way to reboot it.

cheers,

Robin
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Thanks Robin!

I do have the latest Atik core installed. Good suggestion...I'll take a look at device manager the next time it glitches although I don't seem to have the same issue with my ASI2600 in the same USB train? Also, am I recalling correctly that you were able to successfully add native support for the "original" Horizon in SC so it's not relying on ASCOM? Not sure that I understand the difference between the two, how they work, and whether that's a factor here.

Cheers!
Craig
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Craig,

yes, SharpCap should have direct SDK support for most Atik cameras (in the 'Atik Cameras' section of the cameras menu, rather than the ASCOM section).

Direct support usually gives better control over the camera, higher frame rates and will only show the camera in the menu when it is actually present on the computer (ASCOM shows the camera all the time, even if it is not connected). I did have a Horizon camera on loan from Atik when I did this, and it worked then, but it had to go back, so I can no longer test...

ASCOM is a good backup option if the direct support does not work as it should.

It's difficult to compare different brands of camera, even if you plug them into the same USB cable - the implementation of how the camera communicates back to the PC may well be different for the two brands. Thinking about the USB cables is always a good idea though - if you are having problems with intermittent connections, it's always a good idea to go back to a single, good quality USB cable direct from camera to the PC (no extensions or hubs) to see if that resolves the issue.

cheers,

Robin
CraigG

Post by CraigG »

Thanks for the good info Robin and have a wonderful weekend!

Craig