Windows 11 - Failing to launch.

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
MattDodds

Windows 11 - Failing to launch.

Post by MattDodds »

Hi everyone, I love and use Sharpcap however I tried to install it on my new laptop I just purchased which is running windows 11 and it won't launch.

I get the sharpcap logo but the program won't start.

I have updated my system and tried previous versions of Sharpcap but nothing seems to work.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I have attached my log file for you to see.

Regards,
Matt
Attachments
Log_2023-12-21T13_28_10-18472.log
(22.52 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11 - Failing to launch.

Post by admin »

Hi Matt,

that's an odd one - the log just cuts off at roughly the point where you would expect the program to be ready to use - the one error in there is related to not finding the DLL for a particular brand of camera, which shouldn't cause the sort of issue you are seeing.

Since you are using the 32-bit version of SharpCap, you can try to set it up to create a crash dump on abnormal exit - see the documentation here : https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#SharpC ... t%20prompt If you do get a crash dump file, please send it to me.

Another idea would be to just switch to the 64-bit version and see if that does any better. The 64-bit version is now the recommended version of SharpCap for most users, so gets more testing and is less likely to have unusual errors.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that antivirus software (particilarly free ones that try to get you to upgrade to the paid version) can be intrusive and cause all sorts of unexpected issues if it decides to interfere with the way a program runs. If you are using Microsoft Windows Defender then I would expect no issues, but with other software it's worth considering as a possible cause.

thanks,

Robin