Color Denoising in DSO Live Stacking

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Borodog

Color Denoising in DSO Live Stacking

Post by Borodog »

Most people find color noise more objectionable than luminance noise. Using a OSC for live stacking can take a very long time for the color noise to get down to an acceptable level, if it ever does.

Here's a recent thread on CN where a SharpCap EAA user does not like his results because of color noise and is trying to figure out how to get rid of it:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/9033 ... ry13134777

Color noise was always the worst thing about DSO EAA for me as well. It's partially what drove me all the way to straight up AP instead of EAA.

I would liketo suggest a feature that color denoises the displayed live stack (not the stacked data itself). The display image can be transformed to a color space like YCrCb (I think that it your preference for color denoising if I recall, Robin) and a simple Gaussian blur applied to the Cr & Cb channels with a user controlled slider for the radius, before the image is recomposed to RGB for display. Or whatever your preferred method of color denoising is. :O)

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Mike
admin
Site Admin

Re: Color Denoising in DSO Live Stacking

Post by admin »

Hi Mike,

this already exists in SharpCap 4.1 on the enhancement tab - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#Enhancement%20Tab - it works pretty much exactly as you have suggested ;)

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Re: Color Denoising in DSO Live Stacking

Post by Borodog »

Robin,

You work so fast you build features before I can even get around to asking for them! ;O)

Thanks!