Help Platesolving and aligning with my GOTO Dob

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
jake20

Help Platesolving and aligning with my GOTO Dob

Post by jake20 »

Hi!
Ok, i just decided on using Sharpcap instead of going down the ASIAIR route for use with my 10" Skywatch Synscan GOTO DOB.
I have all the connectivity finally setup right now.

I am just using the regular Sharpcap version right now to make sure it can do what i would like it to do, which is simplify the alignment process for me by using platesolving with my GOTO dob.
I have no problem buying the pro version if it can do this. I am really hoping it can! Because i have really been struggling with alignment in my city area backyard.

Can you/anyone give my some tips or a tutorial on how to use Sharpcap to platesolve and align my GOTO Synscan dob?
I am new to Sharpcap so i still have a lot to learn, but i did see some .py scripts when downloading the latest Synscan app (SharpCap_Script_Template_for _Skywatcher_GOTO_Mounts_AutoAlign.py)

Is it as simple as just running this?
thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help Platesolving and aligning with my GOTO Dob

Post by admin »

Hi,

there was some discussion about that script on the forums recently, noting that it needed an update to work correctly with SharpCap 4.1, the discussion is here : viewtopic.php?p=39274&hilit=synscan#p39274 . It's possible that the script has been further updated since that discussion, so maybe the errors found there have been fixed.

Hopefully, someone who uses a GOTO dob or the script and has direct experience will be along soon to comment.

One thing to note is that plate solving make accurate star alignment less critical - if you end up 2 degrees off from your target after a GOTO, you press the 'Plate solve and resync' button in SharpCap and it will work out the current co-ordinates from plate solving and re-position to place your target in the center of view.

cheers,

Robin