Tips needed for imaging the 2024 solar eclipse

Discussions of using SharpCap for Solar or Lunar Imaging
Moonstruck

Re: Tips needed for imaging the 2024 solar eclipse

Post by Moonstruck »

Thanks very much Brian! I just bought a Redcat 71 and am anxious to try it out. So I will be using that (not the Esprit 100) I mentioned before. So the sun should be smaller in the FOV, which might help keep it centered. I have done quite a bit of imaging/stacking, so just running it for 4 min during the eclipse and stacking a few frames later will be easy. Good to know I can enhance the corona later, when I get home.

So if I just run it for 4 min at one exposure, should I still take off the solar filter at totality? Sorry for all these questions, but that is an important one I had to ask...
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Which RedCat? 51, 61, or 71? Each has a different focal length. Will you use the ASI294 with it?

Edit: You answered my question. Here is your FOV:
Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 10.11.46 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 10.11.46 PM.png (99.71 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
Regarding the solar filter, you absolutely need to remove it during totality or else you'll see nothing. Totality should be viewed by naked eye whereas the partial phases can damage your eyes right up to moments before the Diamond Ring.

Hopefully your solar filter is easy to take off. I recommend not to stress yourself. Remove the solar filter a couple minutes before Diamond Ring. Immediately put on the RedCat's dust cap to prevent heat build up at the sensor.

Just thinking, it would be interesting to hear other's opinion, I'm thinking that maybe you should shoot a SER file instead of individual frame captures during totality. Why? The Diamond Ring changes dynamically: here now, gone 5 seconds later. It would make an excellent video. Even after it passes, continue recording the SER file until the second Diamond Ring. You will be using a relatively short exposure, and later using stacking to bring out the corona. So, theoretically I don't see any reason to stress yourself. The only stressful moment will be deciding what exposure to use. Hmm, perhaps the exposure should be the same you used when recording partial phases with the solar filter. That sounds promising!

Brian
Moonstruck

Post by Moonstruck »

Thanks! I'll be sure to remove the filter for the diamond ring(s) and totality, and make sure the dust cap is on at other times when the filter is off. Looking at the new picture with the Redcat 71, it looks like it will be easier to keep centered. Thanks for including it. Also I will watch this forum to see if others chime in on the SER video idea.

Regarding sequencing. This is something I want to learn how to do anyway (for imaging in the future). It would be great to learn some basic steps on how to write a simple script. That is a separate subject from this post, but if you have some basic info on how I can get started with that (maybe a basic tutorial or video link?) let me know. I can send you my email address if that is easier; that way it wouldn't complicate this string. There are probably a lot of little things/details to know about what to/not to include in a script, etc...
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

John

I found this https://www.amazingsky.com/EclipseBook. Might be worth an $11 investment given how often these events come along. I found this via the astrobackyard website
https://astrobackyard.com/how-to-photog ... n%20Earth.

Dave
Frankie5angels

Post by Frankie5angels »

Hi Moonstruck. I just saw your question regarding the upcoming eclipse and imaging using a dedicated astrocam and I have the exact same question. Did you find a response that you have decided to use as I am still looking an uncertain as to how top go about capturing g the eclipse with my ASI533 camera and scope.
Thanks
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

I purchased the book linked to in post #14 - a very useful read.

Having thought about a project like this, a few things come to mind:
  • Moving location, maybe a different latitude would alter the mount elevation.
  • Tracking, polar alignment during the day.
  • Take all the gear to some location other than the normal imaging location and test out solar imaging.
  • Perform 'dummy' solar imaging session which lasts for the duration of the eclipse and executed around the same time of day as the eclipse.
  • Build a plan - test it as as much as is practical.
  • I wouldn't fancy running an untested automated script. Might be ok to have an automated rig and a manual rig.
  • Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
See resources viewtopic.php?p=41125#p41125

Dave