Tracking only allows sideral

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
stbkaiser

Tracking only allows sideral

Post by stbkaiser »

Hi Robin
Finally have clear weather And i am trying to use for Sun imaging.
SC pro v 4.1.11351 64 bit
win 11 pro PC
Using RST-135 mount
When I connect via ASCOM interface and try to set tracking to Sun or solar, SC only presents 1 choice, Sideral

I'm pretty sure in previous versions (not sure how far back), you displayed multiple settings.
I have attached a segment of the log file from the session.
Thanks for help with this.
Steve
Attachments
sharpcap log 12-1.txt
(65.93 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Tracking only allows sideral

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

old versions of SharpCap didn't properly query the ASCOM driver to ask what tracking rates were available, so they showed all the options. This could lead to errors when you clicked on a rate that wasn't really supported.

About a month or so back, I fixed this and asked the ASCOM driver what rates it supported, and that's why you are only seeing sidereal. While your mount will obviously support other rates, the possibilites here are

1) The ASCOM driver doesn't support changing to any rate other than Sidereal, so SharpCap is doing the right thing by only showing Sidereal. The iOptron ASCOM driver seems to have this limitation at the moment.

2) The ASCOM driver *does* support changing to other rates but hasn't properly implemented the list of rates that it does support. This would be annoying...

Can you point me to the download of the ASCOM driver you are using and I will see if it is possible to work out which scenario is correct. In either case, the correct fix would be from the creators of the ASCOM driver.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

HI Robin
You are correct about an issue in the ASCOM interface.
I ran the ASCOM diag while connected to the mount.
The only ACTIVE tracking setting is Sideral.
The other settings are grayed out so it appears the driver has not implemented the additional settings.
The good news.
The Hubi interface panel that actuates when interfaced to the mount DOES present the full array of mount control features and monitoring readouts.
This includes all 4 tracking options and all 5 speed settings, as well as poer usage, positional readouts, temperatures, etc..
So, not as convenient as thru your program but not a show stopper .
I have sent messages asking about a better ASCOM interface then the one I have to my equipment supplier (Deep Space Products LLC ), Rainbow Astro company and the user forum.
I will let you know what I find out.
Thanks for your help on this.
Take care
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

hope you get a positive response and that they also manage to make the movement rates a bit more flexible - a lot of ASCOM drivers offer a range of movement rates (ie any value you choose between 0.01 and 5 degrees per second) rather than just one or two fixed rates as offered by your driver.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Hi Robin
I wanted to let you know I received word back from Rainbow Astro on the RST mount Tracking rate issue.
They confirmed the issue in their ASCOM driver was not allowing Tracking rate changes and will be fixing it.
I thanked them for their help on this , then I also just informed them about the driver rejecting the 0.2666666666 slew rate .
I am hopeful they will be able to identify and correct this issue also.
They have been helpful in the past.
I will let you know when the driver is corrected and it works for me.
Take care
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

that sounds promising! Hope it all comes through.

Robin
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Hi Robin
Hope you had safe holidays.
It seems Rainbow Robotics is not totally convinced about the TRACKING rate change issue.
I know you said your program now queries the ASCOM driver for valid TRACKING rates and that is what you display as options.
I have not been able to find in the log files of Sharpcap where you query the Hubo-i mount driver and determine only the sideral rate is available.
Just in case, I have attached a log file from one session.
I made a note at the top of the file where it begins connection to Hubo-i
Is the query and response for Tracking rates visible in your log or is that not captured .
I hate to ask, but If not captured, would it be possible to add that to log so I can prove to Rainbow the issue.
They wanted the ASCOM log file but I don't see /recognize query for rates.
I've attached the ASCOM log file.

Thanks
Steve
Attachments
ASCOM.Hubo-i.1350.149430.txt
ASCOM log file for connection to Hubo-i
(83.67 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
SC log.txt
SC log when connecting to RST-135
(59.97 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

all good here thanks :)

The info you need isn't currently in the SharpCap log (but I will add it). It is in the ASCOM log - this is the bit where SharpCap is asking the capabilities...

Code: Select all

13:50:15.988 CanSetRightAscensionRate  Get - False
13:50:15.990 TrackingRates             Get
13:50:15.992 TrackingRates             Get - driveSidereal
13:50:16.060 frmMain                   recv - AT1
13:50:16.061 frmMain                   recv - CY+074.68/-040.54
13:50:16.066 Tracking                  Get - True
13:50:16.066 TrackingRate Get          1
13:50:16.066 TrackingRate Get          DriveRates.driveSidereal
The first line is SharpCap asking if it can set the RA tracking rate to arbitrary values (answer - no). The second and third lines are SharpCap asking for the list of supported tracking rates and getting back only sidereal. The 'frmMain' are something internal to the driver, then the last 3 lines are SharpCap asking the current tracking status of the mount (tracking at sidereal rate).

I'll also make SharpCap log the list of rates it finds in the next update.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Thank you Robin
You are very kind to help me with this.
I will send rainbow Astro the ASCOM log file and your explanation of the query for valid rates.
Will see if this is enough evidence of the issue for getting valid tracking rates.
Take care
Steve
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Great news Robin
After sending the ASCOM and Sharpcap log files, Rainbow Astro updated their ASCOM interface.
Sharpcap now "sees" and allows setting all the tracking rates.
Thanks for your help with this.
Take care
Steve