mosaic's

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
hdman1

mosaic's

Post by hdman1 »

Ok, I lack any programming skills know nothing about python or iron python. I have read through the manual on sequence planner and the editor and cannot for the life of me figure out how to sequence a deep sky mosaic? Can someone give me an example. Where I'm confused is how to setup a single sequence to use multiple frames with different coordinates goto, platesolve and sync. Any suggestions are appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Re: mosaic's

Post by admin »

Hi,

the best approach is to use the sequence editor and to start simple and add more features once you have the simple version working. SharpCap doesn't have an easy-to-use planner tool for deep sky mosaic captures yet, but does have a sequencer step to help you repeat the same captures at a series of co-ordinates.

You need to start with a sequence like this
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.88 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
To tell it which co-ordinates to use, you need to create a text file and add the RA/Dec co-ordinates for each sequence panel to that file (one set of co-ordinates per line). That's the file mentioned in the 'Repeat for each RA/Dec co-ordinate' step.

When you run the sequence, it will load the co-ordinates from the file, then GOTO each co-ordinate in turn and run the blocks *inside* the repeat step - as I have set it up in the image above, that means it will do a plate solve/resync then capture 1 still frame, just as an example.

For real use, you would want to capture more than one frame, change to a shorter exposure perhaps for the plate solve and then a longer one for the capture and so on.

cheers,

Robin
hdman1

Post by hdman1 »

Thanks Robin, Will go back to the drawing board, this helps I had some of it worked just got stumped here. I'm sure you will hear from me before this is done!

BR
hdman1

Post by hdman1 »

Hey Robin, Back at it. I'm now confused as to the difference between a camera profile and a capture profile. I've read through the manual still no joy so sending a log with just the sequence line that fails.

BR
Attachments
Log_2023-12-11T14_22_53-7212.log
(66.09 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

The inconsistent naming is just a mistake on my part - the two are the same.

The sequence that you have looks like it should work, as long as there is a saved profile called 'sync' for the camera you are using (profiles are saved for a particular camera, and are not really transferrable from one camera to another with any real guarantee of them working properly).

If you use the sequence editor with the camera open then it should show the list of profiles for that camera in the dropdown for the 'load profile' step. Once you have picked a profile from the list, use the 'test' button to check it works.

cheers,

Robin
hdman1

Post by hdman1 »

Hey Robin, back at the mosaic task. The weather has not been kind. I am attaching my log as I can't seem to find the command to stop guiding, then do the goto and sync then find new guide star and start phd. My manual process is just that, goto, sync, select star, and guide. I may be expecting too much from sequence planner but, I did not see a solution in the editor command set either??

BR
Attachments
Log_2023-12-16T17_04_55-11496.log
(356.52 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

assuming that PHD2 is already running, then it should all be possible - the steps you need will be

* Stop Guiding
* Move the mount to co-ordinates
* Plate solve and resync
* Start guiding if necessary

The last step should run PHD2 through the process of resuming guiding, including selecting a new guide star if necesary.

cheers,

Robin
hdman1

Post by hdman1 »

Hey Robin,
I believe your instructions were followed? Attaching log. I setup Sky Simulator and everything seems good, however it could be the cause of my latest problem. I went this route as the weather sucks and will do so for some time also full moon is no help.
Sorry to be such a pain, now one way or the other I want this to work! The failure to connect to guiding stumped me, which made me suspicious of the simulator. OR I can't see the forest.............................

BR
Attachments
Log_2023-12-20T07_24_56-12624.log
(72.15 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

you need a 'Monitor Guiding Application' step at the beginning of your sequence - that tells SharpCap to connect to PHD2 and keep track of what PHD2 is doing. Without that step, any other guiding related steps will fail.

cheers,

Robin
hdman1

Post by hdman1 »

Thanks again, lot of hand holding and I appreciate it. If this runs and works as expected is there a proper place where I can share the sequence it's crude but someone like me might benefit.

BR