Can the Sequencer Send LX200 format commands?

Questions, tips, information and discussions about using the SharpCap Sequencer and Sequence Planner tools
Jupiter

Can the Sequencer Send LX200 format commands?

Post by Jupiter »

I am very new to the sequencing and scripting; hopefully my question is not ill formed. Is it possible to have a sequence step send a "raw" LX200 command to the mount? Might be a useful addition if it is not currently available??
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can the Sequencer Send LX200 format commands?

Post by admin »

Hi,

no, it's not currently possible to use any raw commands to telescope mounts. SharpCap works via ASCOM drivers to control various mounts as they (should) provide a uniform way of working that is relatively unaffected by how the underlying communication works.

I guess to give a better answer I'd need to know what sort of command you are hoping to send and why... I know that some of the Meade ASCOM drivers have limitations, but which one is a problem for you?

cheers,

Robin
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thanks for the reply. I have been working on a way to automate the alignment of my Onstep mount and have been experimenting with the Sharpcap console/scripting which looks promising. Today it occurred to me that another approach would be to use the Sharpcap Sequence generator. That led to the thought that since Onstep has an extended LX200 command set which includes alignment commands, it might be possible to have the sequence generator send these align commands in LX200 format. I really don't think I need that capability...I think I the capability of the sequencer to execute programs will do the job. I must say, the sequencer is very slick!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ah, OK, so you have quite a complex and unique use case then. If you are prepared to play around with the Python scripting that is also built into SharpCap then you may be able to get somewhere...

You can send commands direct through most Meade ASCOM drivers to the hardware using CommandBlind, CommandBool and CommandString - ie

Code: Select all

SharpCap.Mounts.SelectedMount.AscomMount.CommandBlind("EK5")

Obviously that's not quite the same as using the sequencer, but you can include running script from the sequencer (and sequencer from the script too if you want).

cheers,

Robin
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Robin,
Thanks. Not sure if any of this will work but i am having fun.