New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Feature : Planetary Live Stacking

Post by admin »

Hi,

I can't think of a good reason why the halved wavelet scales would fail in live mode, but worth looking at the log (I tried to make all the code paths that would cause a failure to update the image log something). I suppose it might just be something odd perhaps the ROI/capture area used was causing issues - what were you using?

I think I know where the additional 'box' round the edge comes from...

When the image is stabilized, SharpCap moves the content of the frame around - if it needs to be moved left then some of the content on the left side is thrown away and black (well, close to black) pixels are introduced on the right to show the area that has been left uncovered as the frame content is moved. That process tends to lead to a darkened border around the edges of the image as the nearly black pixels are added to the stack. Then, when you apply sharpening, the sharpening turns the boundary between the dark border and the interior of the frame into a brigher line.

Maybe I could move the data from one side of the frame to the other rather than fill the uncovered area with black, or some variant of that to reduce this effect.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

On the problem with half scale wavelets not working, did you check to see what the 'Display Update Rate' was?

Half scale wavelets make the wavelet calculations take about 3x longer than normal, and if you had gone to a larger capture area to deal with the ghost border issue then maybe that update rate dropped really slow (below 1fps - I have had that when doing silly things like trying to process 24 megapixel images)..

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Thanks for the reply, Robin.

No, the ROI box in the ROI was not a sharpening artifact. When I first opened the tool, it had the usual red ROI box in the middle of the actual ROI, smaller than the planet. It had the usual click-to-drag corner indicators, and I clicked and dragged it to fill the whole ROI. It did not seem to interfere with the operation of the tool, but I don't know what it is for.

And yes, I noticed that the Halve Wavelet Scales definitely affected the display update rate, dropping it by about a factor of 3, even though there was no sharpening occuring. I wish that I had thought to screen capture the behavior in OBS, but it did not occur to me at the time. Sorry.

The ROI reminds me of another odd behavior that is not related to planetary stacking and is not really a bug exactly, that I have seen and dealt with for a long time. When I open the ADC tool, very often the ADC ROI seems very large; if I am at 100% view with the full sensor ROI, the ADC ROI is larger than the view and I can't even click and drag the corners to resize it, and I have to change the view to Auto to find the draggable corners. This may only occur the first time the ADC tool is opened in a session; I can't recall exactly. The focus ROI box also sometimes shows up in weird places. It often seems that the ROIs of these two tools interact which each other somehow, but maybe I am trying to see patterns that aren't there to understand what's going on. Perhaps if the ROI has changed or it's the first use of the tool, the ROI of these two tools should default to a square in the middle of the ROI that is 20% the width of the ROI or something like that.
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

In case anyone is interested, I have updated my tutorial for this tool, since it is evolving quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabGyvFMZ40

If you have someone who might be interested in this tool and learning more about it, feel free to direct them to this video.
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Borodog wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:47 pm In case anyone is interested, I have updated my tutorial for this tool, since it is evolving quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FabGyvFMZ40

If you have someone who might be interested in this tool and learning more about it, feel free to direct them to this video.
Thank you.

And you answered a thought I had in whether it would aid focusing .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think I have tracked down and fixed two potential causes of a pink/purple border appearing at the edge of the image when using the tool, so that will be in the next update.

On the subject of the ROI rectangle - I will have to dig to work out under what circumstances it is remembered and if it is on a tool-by-tool basis or only one box. The trick to know is that you can double click on the image to resize it to about 1/2 the current view size, centered where you double click. Great for finding it if it is lost.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

admin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:07 pm Hi,

I think I have tracked down and fixed two potential causes of a pink/purple border appearing at the edge of the image when using the tool, so that will be in the next update.

On the subject of the ROI rectangle - I will have to dig to work out under what circumstances it is remembered and if it is on a tool-by-tool basis or only one box. The trick to know is that you can double click on the image to resize it to about 1/2 the current view size, centered where you double click. Great for finding it if it is lost.

cheers,

Robin
Ah ha! Thank you. That will do the trick.
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

I am clouded out for the next week at least, but luckily I found a treasure trove of SER files from last year.

Saturn from October 25, 2022
Saturn live stacked in SharpCap 4.1
Saturn live stacked in SharpCap 4.1
Saturn_live_stacking.png (135.91 KiB) Viewed 115300 times
Mars from December 10, 2022
Mars live stacked in SharpCap 4.1
Mars live stacked in SharpCap 4.1
Mars_live_stacking.png (126.88 KiB) Viewed 115300 times
Jupiter from November 2, 2022
Jupiter live stacked in SharpCap 4.1
Jupiter live stacked in SharpCap 4.1
Jupiter_Live_Stacked.png (410.61 KiB) Viewed 115300 times
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Just 200 frames stacked.

October 8, 2022
Jupiter live stacked in SharpCap 4.1. 200 frames.
Jupiter live stacked in SharpCap 4.1. 200 frames.
Jupiter_Live_Stacked_200_frames.png (192.65 KiB) Viewed 115299 times
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Does it work on the Moon? Why yes. Yes it does.

Live stacked Moon in SharpCap 4.1.
Live stacked Moon in SharpCap 4.1.
live_stacked_Moon.png (348.33 KiB) Viewed 115292 times