Color balance auto setting

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Gfischer

Color balance auto setting

Post by Gfischer »

I use a Asi183mc for eaa viewing and recording. I have found many times for unknown reasons frames come into livestack way of balance. I then hit the lightning button to correct stack. What if there were a auto balance lock which would balance either the stack or the incoming frames without pushing button each unbalanced frame. Would also make a better view for public viewing

Keep up the great work Robin
We all appreciate it
George
admin
Site Admin

Re: Color balance auto setting

Post by admin »

Hi George,

do you mean that you press the auto colour balance button once and it all looks OK and then after more frames are added the colour drifts out again? I wouldn't expect that to happen unless the colour of the frames coming into the stack was changing during stacking (camera setting change during stacking, light pollution levels changing, etc). Which auto colour balance button are you using? The one that is from the star colours or the other one?

cheers,

Robin
carlomuccini

Post by carlomuccini »

I'll join the discussion
It also happens to me that in livestacking for 15 minutes I often have to adjust the color balance to restore the curves of the three colors.
I always use the button "From histogram peaks".

I'll add another strange thing: in the "processed" save folder the pairs of two images
saved are always identical; every time I delete the *WithDisplayStretch.png because it is useless
In livestacking I save automatically every 15 minutes in FIT format

Carlo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

sounds like I will need to run through a set of data that is causing trouble in the folder monitor camera at some point to properly understand why any colour change is happening.

For the display stretch, the display stretch file will be identical if the settings in the histogram stretch control on the right are at their defaults, or if it is disabled. I should be able to suppress the display stretch save in those situations I guess.

cheers,

Robin
Gfischer

Post by Gfischer »

Robin,
The frames coming into live stack will vary in color balance I’m not sure why. This seems to cause stack to vary in balance as well. I use the “ lightning” bolt in histogram to restore balance. What I was thinking could there be a button to basically activate “lightning “ bolt for each new frame? Not sure if correcting stack or incoming frame would be best,
George
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi George,

yes, that's something that's possible to do, but I'm worried that its a case of applying a sticking plaster over an underlying problem that we don't understand (why the input frame colours change and then make the stack colours change). I'd prefer to understand the underlying issue and if possible fix that, rather than just cure the symptoms.

cheers,

Robin
Gfischer

Post by Gfischer »

Robin,
I like your metaphor about the plaster, I’ve seen that in so many homes!! The problem might be from the camera which might be a function of which camera is being used. I’d be curious how many people experience this. Last night I was shooting horse head( found with your platesolve, thank you) the first frame was heavy in the red the next was fine. It’s a mystery!
George