Imaging Jupiter

Discussions of using SharpCap for Planetary Imaging
turfpit

Re: Imaging Jupiter

Post by turfpit »

Bob

I have downloaded the SER file. It looks like this when played back with SER Player. It is recognised as Bayer pattern GRBG, which is encouraging.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.11 KiB) Viewed 5370 times

I will process this and post back the details, hopefully solving the mono issue.

Dave
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Robert

Here is your data with a quick process using Autostakkert!3 (v3.1.4) and Registax 6 (v6.1.0.8). The colour has been retained, which sorts your original problem (I don't understand where the mono image came from).

initial-final.JPG
initial-final.JPG (12.95 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

Looking at the Autostakkert Quality Graph (all below 50% quality) it looks like you had poor seeing for this capture.

AS-Quality-Graph.JPG
AS-Quality-Graph.JPG (16.7 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

Here are the processing steps.

Original capture, played back with SER Player:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.11 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

Opened in AS showing Bayer pattern GRBG.
AS-Open.png
AS-Open.png (339.89 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

AS Analyse.

AS-Analyse.JPG
AS-Analyse.JPG (74.82 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

AS-alignment-points.JPG
AS-alignment-points.JPG (69.68 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

AS-Stack.JPG
AS-Stack.JPG (74.81 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

AS-TIFF-in-Photos.JPG
AS-TIFF-in-Photos.JPG (10.54 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

RS-drag-and-drop.JPG
RS-drag-and-drop.JPG (94.67 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

RS-RGB-before.JPG
RS-RGB-before.JPG (100.95 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

RS-RGB-balance.JPG
RS-RGB-balance.JPG (103.17 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

RS-histogram.JPG
RS-histogram.JPG (105.89 KiB) Viewed 5369 times

Dave
robert w

Post by robert w »

Hi Dave,
I feel like a fool- LOL. After reviewing your reply, I know what happened. After you processed the file in AS, I believe you 'Saved the Stack As'. I was trying to use the Export function in the upper right-hand side for saving my files.

During your reply, you mentioned the quality graph was not so hot. Was this due to 1) the bad upper atmospheric conditions or 2) not using the correct camera setting or 3) a combination of both? I believe the output of quality graph display should have above the line. Correct?

Another question. What would you suggest for the length of the of video? I was taking 1-minute videos because Jupiter rotates fast. Should I try shooting 2-minutes or 3-minute videos? Would that provide more details?

Bob
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

When you look at your AS graph you can see only one frame was stacked in others nothing stacked. if you would have moved the vertical bar in the graph over you could have stack quite a few more frames and increased the quality of the output... At least that is what I see I usually shoot for a couple thousand frames hoping to at least stack a thousand... But this is just me.
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

robert w wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:13 pm Hi Dave,
I feel like a fool- LOL. After reviewing your reply, I know what happened. After you processed the file in AS, I believe you 'Saved the Stack As'. I was trying to use the Export function in the upper right-hand side for saving my files.

During your reply, you mentioned the quality graph was not so hot. Was this due to 1) the bad upper atmospheric conditions or 2) not using the correct camera setting or 3) a combination of both? I believe the output of quality graph display should have above the line. Correct?

Another question. What would you suggest for the length of the of video? I was taking 1-minute videos because Jupiter rotates fast. Should I try shooting 2-minutes or 3-minute videos? Would that provide more details?

Bob
You can shoot for as long as you like :mrgreen: 3 minute's a good compromise, but then you're starting to look at de-rotating in winjupos (another ball game to consider!)
Mind most of my Jupiter shooting last winter saw all my AS graphs below the 50% line!

p.s. on Autostakkert - 4 beta has been released.....
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

kaymann
When you look at your AS graph you can see only one frame was stacked in others nothing stacked
This is not true. I stacked 20% of the frames, as shown by the entry '20' in the 'Frame percentage to stack' box.

frames-to-stack.JPG
frames-to-stack.JPG (37.54 KiB) Viewed 5328 times

if you would have moved the vertical bar in the graph over you could have stack quite a few more frames and increased the quality of the output
Moving the vertical bar over will not increase the number of frames stacked. However - placing the mouse in the graph, holding down the CONTROL key and right click (or left click) will move the green vertical bar and change the entry in the 'Frame percentage to stack' box.

After 'Analyse', the quality graph is shown. 'Frame percentage to stack' is all zeroes (or the last used value is remembered). Vertical green line is at the left over the highest quality frame.

1.JPG
1.JPG (91.08 KiB) Viewed 5328 times

As an example, holding the mouse over the first blue vertical line (first quartile), holding down the CONTROL key and right clicking (or left click) will move the vertical green bar and populate the 'Frame percentage to stack' box with 25. That is 25% of the frames will be stacked.

2.JPG
2.JPG (97.47 KiB) Viewed 5328 times

I usually shoot for a couple thousand frames hoping to at least stack a thousand
https://www.astrokraai.nl/software/Sky% ... %2072].pdf
In this document, written by Emil Kraaikamp, Autostakkert Developer, it is stated "typically anything below the horizontal 50% quality line can be ignored" (page 70, left column, last paragraph).

I hope the above clarifies points raised in post #14.

Dave
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Bob

Glad you have the colour issue sorted now. By doing nothing with the defaults a TIF file will be saved from Autostaakert.

As to quality, this is worth a read https://www.astrokraai.nl/software/Sky% ... 072%5D.pdf. In this document, written by Emil Kraaikamp, Autostakkert Developer, it is stated "typically anything below the horizontal 50% quality line can be ignored" (page 70, left column, last paragraph). That leaves you stacking around 3% of frames captured for the example video if you want to use 75% or better quality. You can stack up to 4 different percentage of frames at 1 pass.

You have the combination of a 6SE scope, 2x Barlow and bad upper atmospheric conditions. From your capture settings file I see figures which are typical of those I have used. Using the Barlow forces an increase in exposure which then lowers the frames per second. Removing the Barlow decreases the image size but increases the frame rate.

Getting the log histogram in the classic 'whale' shape for a given gain is the best indicator of good capture settings.

ASI120-histogram.png
ASI120-histogram.png (6.91 KiB) Viewed 5322 times

The atmosphere can vary wildly over minutes e.g. some turbulence or very thin cloud. Over the last 3 or 4 years, Jupiter has been low elevation for me (~25°) and in the Celestron C8 SCT it looked like it was being boiled. Where I live it is not uncommon to see clouds moving from the east and the west - when the two weather fronts meet the atmosphere is unsettled. To counter this, I take multiple SER captures one after the other. These are easy to process - select all the SER files and drag and drop onto the Autostaakert Open button, run through the first and the rest of the videos will be processed using the same settings.

The best planetary images on Astrobin tend to be captured using Celestron C14 or C11 scopes and the capture locations need to be noted. Damian Peach produces excellent planetary images but a 1m scope, 3000m up a mountain does help http://www.damianpeach.com/picdumidi2017.htm. Damian Peach is second from the left, Emil Kraaikamp (Autostaakert developer) is second from the right. I learnt most of my imaging by attending Damian's 6 hour planetary and lunar workshops.

1 minute videos for Jupiter is good. The fast rotation causes longer videos to 'smear' the detail. As @Altocumulus stated - WinJupos de-rotation software is the answer. There are (hotly debated) 'guidelines' for maximum video captures of the planets and maximum video time. Some typical figures are:
  • Mars 90s
  • Jupiter 60s, 3m total
  • Saturn 120s
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/8120 ... uary-2023/

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astr ... ary-images

https://www.thelondonastronomer.com/it- ... our-camera

That should give you enough reading material for a while.

Dave
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

In your original post looking at the frames section above the photo in Autostakkert looking right it indicates 1 frame being processed...

I am not commenting on any of the other procedures as I have a couple of times found myself accidentally working on one frame
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

kaymann

In the AS3 log file, line 80 says "_stack_frames_percentage_1 20"

AS-log-file.JPG
AS-log-file.JPG (23.14 KiB) Viewed 5305 times

18_46_52_lapl5_ap51.as3.txt
(59.47 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

I think and the log reports that I have stacked 20% of the frames.

Dave
robert w

Post by robert w »

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the additional reading material. I will need to digest everything. I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for everything.

Robert