Darks with QHY183C Cool

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
donboy

Darks with QHY183C Cool

Post by donboy »

Hi Robin,

Over last few days I have used three sets of darks for the QHY183C. Reason is they stop working properly. They initially work for a day or two then ampglow appears across the bottom and the top. The only solution I have found until yesterday was to redo the darks. What I found late last night, after having to redo my darks and they eventually failed as just described, was changing the ON switch for Debayer Preview to Force RGGB and that got the latest darks to work. Restarting SC and using ON for Debayer sometimes worked for Darks, but not all the time. I'm not sure that Force RGGB will work all the time, for ON position hasn''t.

Don
admin
Site Admin

Re: Darks with QHY183C Cool

Post by admin »

Hi Don,

unfortunately I don't have a good, quick, answer for that... The 'On' setting for debayer preview should give identical processing to the 'Force XXXX' - providing you have picked the correct XXXX option. If 'On' is getting the wrong pattern then the images would look dreadful (purple splotchy areas or red/blue swapped) - that would jump out straight away.

Some thoughts that come to mind...

Is the cooling holding at the right temperaure? A temperature drift could affect darks.

Maybe there is a side effect of changing the 'Debayer' option - that forces a camera restart, which might reset something that is not quite working as it should (no idea what yet). If that's the case then switching to RAW8 and back would be expected to have similar effects

Try setting up to capture darks (right camera settings, no light, etc) with the old dark still being applied. If everything is good then the result should be a practically black frame with. If things are drifting off somehow then what you get will be the difference between the dark frames the camera is producing now and the ones it produced last time around - maybe looking at those with a stretch applied might help show something.

cheers,

Robin