Stabilize COG without moving it to the center of the frame

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
Borodog

Stabilize COG without moving it to the center of the frame

Post by Borodog »

Similar to guiding without driving the COG to the center of the frame, I would like the option to stabilize the COG without shifting it to the center of the frame under planet stabilization. Instead, the COG would simply be stabilized to its initial position. This would be extremely useful for shooting wide frame animations of Jupiter and Saturn and their moons.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Stabilize COG without moving it to the center of the frame

Post by admin »

Hi,

you can get a somewhat similar effect using the 'Feature tracking' tool.

Set it up to track based on center of mass, and to use ROI for tracking rather than actually driving the mount. There is an option available with those settings that lets you choose between bringing the planet to the center of the frame and leaving it in the current position.

This isn't quite the same as it doesn't put every frame to exact alignment, but it will counter drift and you can then do rough alignment in PIPP.

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

I am already using Feature Tracking to guide the mount. :O) I would really like to have the frame stabilized but have Jupiter or Saturn stick where I put them. How hard can it be? ;O)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lots of these ideas aren't particularly hard - the trouble is that I have a noticeboard already covered with post-it notes of ideas to implement, small bug fixes, usability improvements, etc... Still, at least that means that SharpCap will continue improving for a long time to come :)

cheers,

Robin
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

Seriously, you should post a photo of that noticeboard full of post-its. Would be fascinating to see!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

But then all the competitors could read my secret plans! :D

Robin
kaymann

Post by kaymann »

admin wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:29 pm But then all the competitors could read my secret plans! :D

Robin
I don't know how to say this other than just saying NO one can compete with SharpCap, SharpSolve, SharpCone, etc.

Just saying...
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

True. I switched to SharpSolve tonight from ASTAP and WOW it plate solved in a fraction of a second. I couldn’t believe it.
Borodog

Post by Borodog »

For the record, I also want this as an option in the new planet stacking tool. Just a checkbox that will either center the COG or stabilize the COG to it’s initial location. Super simple to implement I think, and allows wild field views with moons.