New platesolver

A place to report problems and bugs in SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs

Please also read about Troubleshooting USB Issues before posting.

*** Please do not post license keys - please report any problems with licensing to 'admin' by private message ***

Please include the following details in any bug report:

* Version of SharpCap
* Camera and other hardware being user
* Operating system version
* Contents of the SharpCap log after the problem has occurred.
[If SharpCap crashes, please send the bug report when prompted instead of including the log]
Tiago Ferreira

New platesolver

Post by Tiago Ferreira »

Works fine as well as astap, both with the push-to feature. However, now stellarium can't connect through virtual telescope to sharpcap and in the stellarium telescope settings the ASCOM disappeared.
I would like to still have that backup system to use when needed.
When connecting in sharpcap, after plate solve succesfully, it gives the error of not connecting and sync to telescope.net
It happened after update to the new sharpcap version and it seems related with ASCOM but i don't understand why this is happening.
Do you know what i can do to keep this working without jeopardizing the new feature? Thanks
Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/@DobsonianPower

12" f/5 Dobsonian GSO
8" f/6 Dobsonian GSO
6" f/5 Dobsonian Go-To Virtuoso Gti
Dwarf II Smart Telescope
Geoptik Eartha Eq Platform
ZWO ASI224MC + ZWO ASI294MC
admin
Site Admin

Re: New platesolver

Post by admin »

Hi,

this seems unlikely to be related to the new plate solving engine or indeed any change in SharpCap (which shouldn't affect what options you are seeing in Stellarium). Do you just need to re-add the ASCOM option to the list of telescopes in Stellarium?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.73 KiB) Viewed 6488 times
cheers,

Robin
Tiago Ferreira

Post by Tiago Ferreira »

yeah i know but the ASCOM option disapeared and it's weird because i still use an older stellarium version which has been working fine. Meanwhile i see sharpcap fails to connect to ascom so i will try to reinstall ascom, can be there the issue i don't know. May be a coincidence to happen right after testing the platesolver.

12" f/5 Dobsonian GSO
8" f/6 Dobsonian GSO
Dwarf II Smart Telescope
Tiago Ferreira

Post by Tiago Ferreira »

I just updated ASCOM to the new version and now it appeared again in the telescope config in stellarium and also on sharpcap instead of an error, it opens the ascom window. It was ascom fault.
I suppose it will be fine now. Sorry for blaming sharpcap but was a weird coincidence and first time that happened.
It's nice to have platesolve integrated directly in sharpcap. :)

12" f/5 Dobsonian GSO
8" f/6 Dobsonian GSO
Dwarf II Smart Telescope
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, I see there has been an ASCOM update recently to 6.6sp2 - not sure if that will have fixed things for you, or if perhaps the upgrade to that didn't go as it should have done and broke things?

cheers,

Robin
Tiago Ferreira

Post by Tiago Ferreira »

No, i just updated ascom after this issue. I'm not sure what happened. I was playing with sharpcap and stellarium and i remember to run an ascom diagnosis at the same time. Maybe that could cause it. I was a bit anxious to get this new platesolver working and as i was with clouds and a barlow it was not working at first but then without the barlow it worked but meanwhile lost the ascom communication somehow.
Thanks anyway.

12" f/5 Dobsonian GSO
8" f/6 Dobsonian GSO
Dwarf II Smart Telescope
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

no worries - glad all is fine now. Quite possibly the barlow is either pushing the FOV too small for the current solving database or dropping the star count too far for good results.

I am looking into making a larger database for solving at smaller scales - still work in progress.

cheers,

Robin