qhy533m flats save wrong size

wbendick

qhy533m flats save wrong size

Post by wbendick »

I used sharpcap to generate and use a flat for my qhy533m. The flat works fine until I restart sharpcap. When it tries to load the saved flat it complains it is the wrong dimensions.

How could this be?
Jean-Francois

Re: qhy533m flats save wrong size

Post by Jean-Francois »

Hello,

I have no QHY-533 camera, but several other camera from QHY.
It is a bad, very bad idea from QHY to change the image size between the Still mode and the Video mode.
Some detectors have the pre-scan region and QHY decides to show the pre-scan in one mode and not in the other.

So it is maybe the same for you with the QHY-533 camera, if you take the flats in the video mode and later you want to use is in the still mode (or it is the opposite).

Regards,
Jean-Francois
admin
Site Admin

Re: qhy533m flats save wrong size

Post by admin »

Hi,

I'm fairly sure Jean-Francois is correct :(

I have tried to work out a way around this, but as far as I can see there isn't one because the information needed (the relative offset of the two different areas that QHY makes available in live and still mode) varies from camera model to camera model and is not available via the SDK.

I suspect that other software isn't affected as much, since most other software is either planetary only or deep sky only, so will either use live video mode all the time or still mode all the time. SharpCap is unusual in combining both.

To make things even worse, the fact that the two sizes are different means that SharpCap cannot switch the camera automatically into still mode as the exposure length rises above a couple of seconds (which SharpCap does for lots of other camera brands) - if I could do this it would avoid other issues with the QHY cameras to do with frame buffering and reliability.

The best approach is to set the 'Force still mode' option to on for your camera - that will mean it runs in still mode even when SharpCap is in live mode. It's no good for high speed video capture, but will keep the resolution constant between SharpCap live and still mode. Once you have set this option, save the settings to a capture profile and set it as default for the camera so that SharpCap will always load the settings.

cheers,

Robin