New Feature : SharpSolve - SharpCap's new built-in plate solver

All the latest news about new features and improvements to SharpCap
Hrothgar

Re: New Feature : SharpSolve - SharpCap's new built-in plate solver

Post by Hrothgar »

I'm relatively inexperienced with Sharcap. Just spent a night with a C11 + 6.3 plus focal reducer and an Svbony 705C (IMX 585) doing some EAA. It was the first time with this combo. Seeing was not always perfect but generally ok. Shapsolve kept coming back with 'fail'. It has alway worked with a 120/f7 refractor and the same camera in similar viewing conditions so I assume I'm overlooking a setting / trying something beyond the abilities of this camera and telescope combo.

All advice gratefully accepted.

Pat Neville
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Pat and welcome

What happens a lot (happend to me too :) ), is that in the SharpCap Settings under the Plate Solve tab, a focal length is defined.
So maybe in your case too? If so, set it Do Not Use and try it again. I use that setting too with my 2000mm scope and it's just as fast.

Menno
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Thanks Menno555.

I eventually got around to ticking the <Do Not Use> box but it made no difference.

Have nothing but positive to say about Sharpcap so maybe the sky conditions were quirky last night. It's semi-tropical here and humidity sometimes gets sucked in on high from the coast. Stars seemed bloated/soft last night as well for no good reason. Back spacing was as per recommended.

H.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

that setup with the C11+Reducer+IMX585 has a focal length of about 1750mm and a field of view of 0.36x0.21 degrees. SharpSolve is designed to go down to 0.25 by 0.25 (needs the larger catalog below 0.5x0.5 - use the download button in the settings to get it). The extra width may not be enough to save you from the lack of height of the image.

Once you start getting close to that low field of view limit, it does get less reliable and it becomes more critical to get plenty of stars that are well enough exposed to be detected.

Try longer exposures and potentially use binning to reduce noise to help the star detection work - that might get you running. Note that at that scale there are some areas that have very low star counts that might simple not work at all because there is so little to see.

cheers,

Robin
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Many thanks for taking the time Robin.

I will try as you advise as soon as the weather permits. The limiting factors in my set up were probably complicated the other night by the onset of a new episode of La Calima; and stars were indeed scarce in some of the areas I was scanning.

For the next 3-4 days even the nearest star won't be visible during daytime on account of this insufferable Calima.

Nothing to be done.

Pat
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Pat,

I hope the weather clears soon - I had to look up the Calima online as I hadn't heard of it before, and it doesn't sound nice :(

When you do get a chance to test, if you still encounter problems, save a few typical images to file and then you can try running them through the online plate solving tool at nova.astrometry.net to see if they work there (that one uses the same plate solving engine as Astrotortilla). You could also share them with me so I can see if anything can be done to help make them solve.

cheers,

Robin
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Thanks again Robin. I'll do as you advise the next time I roll out the C11.

The Calima has been grim, but I can see sunlight again this morning

Hooray!

Pat