Live stacking with Orion Starshoot

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
Sharno

Live stacking with Orion Starshoot

Post by Sharno »

Hello,
I used Sharpcap live stacking with pleasure with a monochrom camera. I have also a venerable but reliable Orion Starshoot Pro V2 color camera. I succed to load an ascom driver and now Starshoot camera appears is the menu of available camera in Sharpcap. But when I select the camera I cannot succed to open it in Sharpcap (a "set up" window appears). I tried to disconnet and reconnect the camera, to close and reopen Sharpcap but it doesn' work. Have somebody already succed to use Sharpcap with an Orion Starshoot pro V2 camera? Succed to live stack? If yes how to do it?
Thanks for helping.
Sharno
admin
Site Admin

Re: Live stacking with Orion Starshoot

Post by admin »

Hi Sharno,

the fact that you see a setup window when trying to open the camera indicates that SharpCap's first attempt to connect to the camera gave an error - when that happens SharpCap shows the setup window in the hope that there is something you can configure to make the camera work.

Can you get the Orion camera to work in other software on the same PC? If it is working in other software that directly supports it then that would indicate that the windows system drivers for the camera are OK. If you can't get it to work at all then maybe you are missing the system drivers.

Does other software work with the Orion ASCOM driver? Knowing that helps narrow down the problem to a SharpCap problem (other programs work) or an ASCOM driver problem (can't get the ASCOM driver to work at all).

One thing that might be worth trying is to use the 32 bit version of SharpCap if you are currently using the 64 bit version. If it is an old camera, the ASCOM driver might not properly support 64 bit applications.

cheers,

Robin
carlomuccini

Post by carlomuccini »

The Orion StarShot works with Ascom drivers with SharpCap 32 bit; it doesn't work with the 64bit version

Carlo
Attachments
M2.jpg
M2.jpg (370.69 KiB) Viewed 6657 times
M27-a.png
M27-a.png (700.27 KiB) Viewed 6657 times
Sharno

Post by Sharno »

Thanks Robin and Carlo for answering. And Thanks Robin for mervellous Sharpcap tool.

I used in the past my Orion Starshoot with Maxim DL on an old PC with windows XP . Unfortunatly I didn't succed to load Maxim DL on my "new" PC with windows 11 and cannot try to verify, as suggested by Robin, if the Starshoot works on my new PC. Do you know a soft for the Orion Starshoot pro V2 on windows 11?
For a monochrom camera I use the v4.0.9538 version of Sharpcap but I don't know if it is a 32 or 64 bit version. Do you know?
I have also on my PC a previous version of Sharpcap : v3.2.6480 . Is it 32 or 64 bit version? If the both versions are 64 bit , which would be a Sharpcap 32 bit version? Thanks Carlo for the two images. Did you take them with Orion Starshoot pro V2 and Live stack with Sharpcap (which version)? If yes, why are they black and white and not color?
Thanks in advance for answering again.
Clear sky.
Astrarno
carlomuccini

Post by carlomuccini »

My Orion camera WAS black and white then....

Maxim DL by Orion: I don't understand if you can't find it anymore or if it doesn't work for you anymore; I should still have the copy of SW MaximDL for Orion cameras.
I took the images in October 2022 with the most recent 32-bit version available at that time. I believe the newer versions work even better.

In the download section : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads
you will find both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version

Carlo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just on the question of how to tell if you have the 64-bit version of SharpCap - look in the title of the window... If you have the 64-bit version it will say 'SharpCap (Version number, 64-bit)'. If it doesn't say 64-bit then you have the 32 bit version. That certainly goes all the way back to SharpCap 3.2.

cheers,

Robin
Sharno

Post by Sharno »

Thanks Robin and Carlo,

64-bit doesn't appear in the name of my version 3 and version 4 of Sharpcap. So, I suppose I have 32 bit version.
Thanks for all yours advices.
Sharno