Blacked Out Stars

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
RetiredDave

Blacked Out Stars

Post by RetiredDave »

Hello All,
I have somehow blacked out all stars or other bright objects in my live view. I can see the edge glow around the stars, but the software seems to be blacking out the centers of all bright objects. Starfields look like a bunch of doughnuts (not from an out of focus condition). When livestacking, the blacking out goes away.
I must have inadvertently tripped a setting while learning the software. I was looking at the focus and collimation tools when I think it happened. If anyone can tell me how I did this, and how to undo it and get my stars back, I would appreciate it.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Re: Blacked Out Stars

Post by admin »

Hi Dave,

the most likely one could be the 'Mask overexposed pixels' control in the 'Preprocessing' group on the right. If you've turned that on and left it on, it could have that effect.

If its not that then a way to get back to default is to open the camera with the <CTRL> key pressed down, which will skip resetting the camera settings to the last used values, putting them all back to defaults.

cheers,

Robin
RetiredDave

Post by RetiredDave »

Thank you. I'll try that tonight.

Dave
RetiredDave

Post by RetiredDave »

Robin,
I checked the setting in Sharpcap and the mask option was not selected. It was daytime so I could not confirm normal operation with respect to stars, so I went ahead and held ctrl when I opened the camera and last night I had no issues with the stars being masked. Thanks for the help.

Dave