Question about live stacking and dither
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:46 pm
Hi
I’ve been reading a set of posts over at cloudynights ( https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/895 ... ggestions/) which was posted by someone who was using a hyperstar and thus short exposures who was wanting to advice as to how to reduce dead time waiting for dithers to settle.
There’s a lot of ‘discussions’ about needing to take longer exposures and how frequently to dither. One comment was saying to dither every frame to ensure rejection algorithms in PI worked. Don’t know if that actually makes sense as I would have thought it would depend on the proportion of subs with bad pixel of data in, but it led me to wonder whether I could live stack my short 15s subs into say 5 minute stacks, dither between stacks and use the resulting 5 min stacks in PI?
I wasn’t able to find anything definitive saying one way or the other. Is it possible to setup live stacking such that the dither occurs between stacks and not in the middle of the stack? Would this occur even if some of the subs got rejected while stacking?
I’ve been reading a set of posts over at cloudynights ( https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/895 ... ggestions/) which was posted by someone who was using a hyperstar and thus short exposures who was wanting to advice as to how to reduce dead time waiting for dithers to settle.
There’s a lot of ‘discussions’ about needing to take longer exposures and how frequently to dither. One comment was saying to dither every frame to ensure rejection algorithms in PI worked. Don’t know if that actually makes sense as I would have thought it would depend on the proportion of subs with bad pixel of data in, but it led me to wonder whether I could live stack my short 15s subs into say 5 minute stacks, dither between stacks and use the resulting 5 min stacks in PI?
I wasn’t able to find anything definitive saying one way or the other. Is it possible to setup live stacking such that the dither occurs between stacks and not in the middle of the stack? Would this occur even if some of the subs got rejected while stacking?