ASCOM for DSLR under Windows 11

Anything that doesn't fit into any of the other forums
jackg

ASCOM for DSLR under Windows 11

Post by jackg »

Folks,

I'm trying to connect my Canon 70D to Sharpcap. This worked fined under Windows 10. Under Windows 11, when I try to install the ASCOM DSLR driver, I get the message "The ASCOM DriverHelper object has failed to load, this indicates a serious problem with the ASCOM installer."

If I ignore that, the driver seems to load. When I load Sharpcap it activates the shutter three times, then gives the error "Object reference is not set to an instance of an object."

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASCOM for DSLR under Windows 11

Post by admin »

Hi Jack,

my first suggestion would be to uninstall and then re-install the ASCOM platform, making sure that you have the latest version 6.6SP2 when you reinstall. That should deal with any real issues in the ASCOM platform installer.

If you still hit problems, a reinstall of ASCOM.DSLR would be something to try, and if that still has problems please post the SharpCap log captured after the issue has occurred, which will let me tell you a little more about what is going on (most likely where the ASCOM.DSLR code is failing, but probably not why).

It may also be worth checking out the ASCOM.DSLR thread on CloudyNights (if you haven't already) : https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7076 ... ny/page-33

cheers,

Robin
jackg

Post by jackg »

Thanks, Robin. I reinstalled ASCOM and ASCOM's DSLR driver with no luck.

Another data point: N.I.N.A. connects to the camera through the ASCOM.DSLR with no problems (and takes pictures and all). However, I much prefer Sharpcap over N.I.N.A.

Here's the log.

Jack
Attachments
Log_2023-10-20T16_21_45-8328.log
(34.88 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Jack,

it looks like the error is from SharpCap asking the ASCOM driver about the height and width of the camera image (in pixels). That's pretty fundamental and one of the first things SharpCap does - it shouldn't really fail.

It looks like a different error to the one you first described - at least I don't see anything about the ASCOM Driver Helper failing to load in the log.

I can't see anything obvious to try that would fix that particular issue - I have a 700D, so I will see if I can set up ASCOM for DSLR on Win11 (I still use Win10 by default) and see if I can get that to work - might not be straitght away though.

cheers,

Robin
jackg

Post by jackg »

Robin,

Thanks for looking into this. There's no rush on this.

Jack