Custom colorscale for mono camera display

Got an idea for something that SharpCap should do? Share it here.
Forum rules
'+1' posts are welcome in this area of the forums to indicate your support for a particular feature suggestion. Suggestions that get the most +1's will be seriously considered for inclusion in future versions of SharpCap.
bokemon

Custom colorscale for mono camera display

Post by bokemon »

Currently, mono cameras display in black and white. [obviously]
I was doing some solar imaging today with a narrowband filter and realized it would be pretty cool to choose a custom colorscale, e.g. black -> orange -> yellow -> white, so it vaguely looks like what people think the actual sun looks like.
Another benefit of a custom colorscale is that you can make high contrast colorscales, e.g. the "jet" colorscale in MATLAB which is good about bringing out low-level details. For example, the surface grain texture of the sun. Sharpcap actually did a good job emphasizing this in mono using the contrast and gamma sliders.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom colorscale for mono camera display

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think the 'Solar Colorization' display effect is what you are looking for : https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.1/#Solar%20Colorization

:D

cheers,

Robin
bokemon

Post by bokemon »

It seems choosing the solar colorscale causes the framerate to drop to around a third. Bug?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmm,

I will check - there is obviously more work to do when the colorization is on, and the image needs to be converted from single colour channel (8 bits per pixel) to 3 channel (24 bits per pixel), so there is more data to move around. It may be that there is something that I can do to improve this though.

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just to follow up, I had implemented the colorization code in a way that was quick for me to write the code, but slow to run. In the very latest update I have fixed this and now there should be a much reduced (if any) frame rate drop when this is active.

cheers,

Robin
bokemon

Post by bokemon »

Bug: running at full ROI, the solar colorization starts off at full speed, then gradually slows down until the display is only about 1 fps.
However, the capture speed (framerate at bottom left of screen) is still full speed.
At partial ROI it works fine.